Saturday, March 1, 2014

Challenge to Read Stuff I Like: Small Fry Safari

imageSo, this is the year for me to sign up for zillions of challenges, which I should probably stop doing any day now. But not today, because I'm signing up for the Small Fry Safari Reader's Challenge 2014. Part of this is that I always feel a little like I'm cheating when I use a kidlit book for a grown-up challenge, but I actually like reading children's books and I don't want my compulsive challenge joining to hinder reading the stuff I like -- it's supposed to help me find more stuff I like! So a book challenge that instead absolutely requires that the books be aimed at the pre-voting crowd is soothing and delicious.

It's again a category challenge, so I shall just read whatever I like and then hope to accidentally fill in everything before it's time to panic. The challenge started back in January, and if in December I'm panicking I reserve the right to hunt through my January and February reads to find stuff I missed, but otherwise I'll lazily just start where I am.

Categories: 8/8
  1. A book with something related to Safari in the title (eg: Rumble in the Jungle, We’re Going on a Bear Hunt): 
    1. Forest Has a Song
    2. Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat, Anna Branford
    3. Jazzy in the Jungle, Lucy Cousins
    4. We Are Not Eaten By Yaks, London Alexander
    5. The World Outside, Eva Wiseman
    6. The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp, Kathi Appelt
  2. A book with a piece of furniture in the title: (eg: 100 Cupboards, The Adventures of the Wishing Chair)  
    1. 100 Cupboards, N.D. Wilson
  3. A book with a specific time in the title: (eg: Grim Tuesday, The Eleventh Hour)  
    1. The Day the Crayons Quit, Drew Daywalt
    2. Early Sunday Morning, Barry Denenberg
  4. A book with someone’s name in the title: (eg: Ella Kazoo Will Not Brush Her Hair, Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret?, Cinderella Ate My Daughter) 
    1. Willow Finds a Way, Lana Button
    2. Lulu and the Dog From the Sea, Hilary McKay
    3. Hereville: How Mirka Met a Meteorite, Barry Deutsch
    4. Rose, Holly Webb
    5. Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh, R.F. Lafevers
  5. A book with something that comes in pairs in the title: (eg: Shoes From Grandpa, The Twins at St Clare’s) 
    1. Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus, R.L LaFevers
    2. Phantom Eyes & Demon Eyes, Scott Tracey
  6. A book with something precious in the title: (eg: Where’s the Gold?, Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone)
    1. Escape From Mr Lemoncello's Library, Chris Grabenstein
    2. The Fourteenth Goldfish, Jennifer Holm
  7. A book with something unsightly in the title: (eg: Scarface Claw, The Ugly Duckling, Get Back, Pimple!, Trash )
    1. Rump: The True Story of Rumplestilskin, Liesl Shurtliff
  8. A book with some form of wordplay in the title : (eg: Dark Lord: A Fiend in Need, The Perpetual Papers of the Pack of Pets, The French Confection)
    1. Home Sweet Horror, James Preller
    2. Bad Machinery 1: The Case of the Team Spirit, John Allison
    3. There Is No Dog, Meg Rosoff

No comments: