Friday, January 14, 2022

Ten To Try 2022

KCLS Challenge: Ten To Try 

Progress:  10/10

King County Library System

Once again my fabulous library system is hosting their Ten to Try Challenge where you try to read books fitting ten categories, and if you succeed, you win happiness beyond compare. Also you get a button. I love my buttons. Finally, it's an excuse to create a list on the library home page. Lists! Buttons! You see how easy it is for the library to give me happiness.

I'll keep a list -- I just hit four so I can make it public (July 4th!). This year I'm going to make it harder by trying to pre-select my books, but I warn the world that if I have problems I'm going to panic in November and search through my year in books to try to fit something in.

Anyway, this years challenge categories are:
  1. Cover is your favorite color: Sisters, Raina Telgemeier 2/3/22
  2. Set somewhere you've wanted to visit: Ancestral Night, Elizabeth Bear (if I like the place!)
  3. Main character is over 50: Machine, Elizabeth Bear (Valley of the Shadow, Carola Dunn)
  4. By an Asian or Asian-American author: Light From Uncommon Stars, Ryka Aoki 1/19/22
  5. About a library or set in a library Running the Books, Avi Steinberg (One For the Books, Jenn McKinlay)
  6. Set in another century: Lent, Jo Walton (Risk, Dick Francis)
  7. A one-word title Warcross, Marie Lu (Chalice, Robin McKinley)
  8. Recommended by a friend: A Ghost in the Glamour, Elizabeth Hunter (rec by Kathleen) (Wall of Winnipeg, Jane Zapata)
  9. Has won an award: The Library Book, Susan Orlean (California Book Award)
  10. Recommended by staff Mapping Sam, Joyce Hesselberth 5/6/22

Maybe I'll try using the hashtag #10totry when I tweet the book. Probably not, because I tweet my books pretty late.

OK, I'll work on these later -- I might move Machine to spot 3 if the protagonist is old enough, and I need to ask a friend and a staff person for 8 and 10. (The author confirmed the protagonists age! Elizabeth Bear is the coolest.)

(I just edited to delete all the Success Markers left over from me copying everything from last years Ten to Try Post)

No comments: