Friday, July 18, 2014

Making a Plan and Checking It Twice

Image of Renton
I need to replace my library picture as it is now a giant construction site as our town pulls it into conformity with 21st Century ideas of fashion, safety, and library configuration. The back-up library doesn't actually have any books, just a place for your holds to rest, and healthy as that might be for my normal over-indulgence, it just doesn't work for me.

So I've shifted to my primary back-up library, but the picture our county has for it is the dreamy mock-up they hope will replace THAT sometime next year. I may have to trundle about with a camera to document my library love. Renton Highlands still has books, although I stuck to my hold shelf. Well, I did search through all the tempting QuickPicks for anything set in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado or Connecticut, but came up empty.

Now that I have the idea of starting one book a day for the rest of the summer (as opposed to last year, where the goal was to FINISH a book each day) I have to figure out what I'm reading. And since I'm also doing the library-due-date dance, I have to make sure I finish some books on time. Of course, I'm unlikely to actually complete a book a day, especially with the stuff I have planned for next week, so it's a good thing I've replaced my dainty book bag with a sturdy, voluminous tote.

So this week I had some books planned out:

Monday: Derik's Bane
Tuesday: Mrs Pollifax and the Whirling Dervish
Wednesday: Prisoner B-3087
Thursday: Ouran High School Host Club 1

And I mostly kept to that, so that I could go the library and turn in all of those (well, not Derik's Bane, because that was an e-book and will just quietly go poof from my NOOK).  And then I went into the library and picked up a few books, which I will ignore and instead read:

Friday: Death's Daughter, Amber Benson. Vaginal Fantasy online book club pick. NOOK.
Saturday: Crown of Renewal, Elizabeth Moon. Because I like her stuff.
Sunday: Archangel's Storm, Nalini Singh. I skipped this and read the latest.
Monday: A Rising Thunder, David Weber. Because Weber is fun.
Tuesday: Yonder Comes the Other End of Time, Suzette Haden Elgin. This is from my TBR bookcase.
Wednesday: Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh, R.L. LaFevers. Finishing off this series.
Thursday: Skin Dive, Ava Gray. Another NOOK pick.

If somehow I don't need to start Skin Dive (I'm trying to limit myself to only a few open NOOK books at a time), I have The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay as a back-up.

What did I bring home? And wouldn't it be different if I caught up enough on my library pile that the books I was planning to read had some relation to the books I brought home with such eager anticipation? I should really try that sometime...
The Marriage Bureau for Rich PeopleReading in the WildA Web of AirDivergent

The Marrige Bureau for Rich People, Farahad Zama. This is our August book pick, so I don't want to read it for a few weeks.
badge-4
Reading in the Wild, Donalyn Miller. How a teacher inspires kids to love reading. I'm not a teacher, but I like kids to love reading, and I also like book recommendations, so I'll probably enjoy this book. In my dream job I'd wander around schools and match kids to books.

A Web of Air, Philip Reeve. I liked the first book in this series, so I got the second. X has already read it and says it's good. I'll get to it in August sometime.

Divergent, Veronica Roth. Well, this was a surprise. I thought my spot on the holds list was about three weeks away. It's already been stolen by X anyway, but I'd better schedule it for next week sometime.
Death's DaughterSkin Dive
I also got two digital books sometime this week. I'll go sign in to Library Loot which is at Captive Reader this week to see what everyone else is getting.

No comments: