Friday, September 19, 2014

Possible Backsliding


I've had some books on hold for months now, since sometimes the library orders them months before they come out. This occasionally results in a surprise dividend of books, such as yesterday when I went to pick up two hold books and came home with a bag full.

And last week (which I think I forgot to post?) I also found a lot of books on my hold shelf. I keep promising myself that I'm bringing my library stack down to manageable proportions, but somehow it hasn't happened yet. At least it occasionally drives me to finish a book.

I also bought a few books, which I'll add in at the bottom, and mostly I'm using as my excuse my oldest son's birthday later this month. I shall regret handing all these books to him when his actual day rolls around and I've got nothing but a stack of receipts to give him.

The Whispering SkullPleasure UnboundMonstrous Affections"The President Has Been Shot!"A Free Man of Color

The Whispering Skull, Jonathan Stroud. We all enjoyed the first of this series.
Pleasure Unbound, Larissa Ione. This is an old Vaginal Fantasy pick that I skipped.
Monstrous Affections. Short stories by authors I like.
The President Has Been Shot, James Swanson. A Cybils pick. I'm stockpiling again.
A Free Man of Color, Barbara Hambly. Recommended by Rachel Manija.

Also, my son requested that I request a few books. I'll probably read the Butler but I still haven't read the first Lynch book, and second son is still reading it.
Red Seas Under Red SkiesBlack Butler

Last week on my way to the airport I picked up:
Waiting for NormalThe New Jim CrowMinion
ImprisonedThe Boy on the Wooden BoxMrs. Pollifax and the Lion Killer (Mrs. Pollifax Series #12)Black butler

At least that last book is a DVD, so it doesn't have to fit in my library book shelf, which is looking a bit crowded right now.

Let's Explore Diabetes With OwlsAfter I'm GoneVeronica MarsTrial by Desire

Well, that last one is for my NOOK, so doesn't swell the book shelf much.

I've also acquired a few books. We ransacked a Georgia Barnes & Nobles until they unearthed the copy of Steven Gould's Exo that the computer insisted they had. The mail (courtesy of paperbackswap) brought me a stack of Norah McClintock books. I've been a fan of hers since the Dooley books.

Double checking my library I see that we've recently acquired a bunch of these as ebooks, but I like having physical books to gloat over. McClintock is exotic and Canadian, you know.

And I may have bought Monstrous Affections for my NOOK, just for the Sarah Rees Brennan's complete story of Elliott, Serene, and Luke. As a special bonus, it includes many other fine stories from authors I am sure I will appreciate. Because waiting three days for the library is hard.

badge-4So I still have 47 books out on my library card.  I have to keep my library card under my age or I ban myself from getting new books. And Unmade is hovering just a week away. Looks like I'll make an extra trip to the (outside book drop for the) library as soon as I finish something!

I'll go sign in to Library Loot which is at Silly Little Mischief  this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

1 comment:

Linda said...

I've been trying to keep my hold list and library stack in check. It's difficult. Too many good books I want to read right now. Enjoy your loot.