Saturday, October 18, 2014

The 24Hour Readathon!

I got off to a slow start for the Readathon by sleeping in till 6:30, but maybe that will help me power through farther.

First book: Veronica Roth's Divergent, at Chapter 21, p.261.

But first -- the Opening Meme:

1. Where: Reading in Renton, Washington, USA.
2. Most Anticipated book: Argh, I dunno, About That Night by Norah McClintock.
3. Snack: Nachos
4. About me: I read too many books. Not overall, but at the same time -- currently over 20 open.
5. What I Am Looking Foward to: Finishing a lot of those books!

8:30 AM. Finished Divergent. It was more complex than I anticipated, and now I'm ready to see the movie!

Now grabbing Templar, a graphic novel by Jordan Mechner. It's on page 87. Chapter 3.

11:30 AM. Finished Templar, which was a gripping story of the fall of the Templars in France. Took a quick break with a story from Magic City: Recent Spells, and then I dove into "The President Has Been Shot!"by James Swanson.

While driving around I'm listening to The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan, and having a lot of fun with the Amazons.

1:30. Back from driving around. Finished "The President Has Been Shot!"  In the mood for something that does not involve a lot of dead people (unlike Divergent, Templar, and The President Has Been Shot!"  Opened Always Abigail, a book I won during the 48 Hour Reading Challenge. The secondary character's mom died three years ago.

3:30. Finished Always Abigail. It was actually quite stressful to read about a reluctant bully who constantly disappoints herself. The last few pages didn't really make up for the previous 275. Ouch. Cathedral of the Wild by Boyd Varty is about growing up on a South African safari park -- that should cheer me up.

4:30 Survey for Hour 12:
Mid-Event Survey:
1. What are you reading right now? Cathedral of the Wild by Boyd Varty, a memoir of a man whose family runs a safari park in South Africa
2. How many books have you read so far? I've finished 3 (both started before today), read a story from a book of short stories, and listened to an audio chapter.
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? rereading Tinker by Wen Spencer
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Nope, people are leaving me alone.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How grim so many of my books were! I may develop a complex. I need something happy and light!

Mini challenge for Hour 15: Spine Poetry:

About that night
Drowned hopes find me 
Forever free.
The warrior templar,
Protector, Rogue.
Dead man walking.


(The book Protector is sadly hidden beneath Templar, sorry for the bad photography.)

9:00 PM: Finally finished The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan. That's a heavy book out of my bookbag! I like what Riordan does with the Greek vs Roman mythology, and as a Seattle neighbor I found the Amazons hilarious.

2:45: I've been reading Protector by C.J. Cherry, but I'm going slower and slower and getting more and more tired. I think it's time to give up, which I will do at 3:00 AM. So I started 90 minutes late and ended two hours early. I guess that's OK for a first try!

I managed to knock six books off my currently-reading stack, and moved the bookmark in Protector along 225 pages. I'm still reading too many books, but I think I'm closer to having things under control. This was a lot of fun!

No comments: