Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Clearing the Shelves! (Well, the floor, anyway)

tbr dare 2014Although I haven't been doing much reading this year, I have dedicated myself to the TBR Double Dog Dare, which means that I only read books that I already have. The first month or so is devoted to my towering library stack, which I really hope to bring down to a reasonable ten-fifteen or so. Then I hope to have time to read enough to fit all my books onto my TBR book cases.

Maybe next year I can work on fixing the double-shelving problem. Never mind, that's too far off -- no need to be chattering about pipe dreams when I don't even know if I'll be able to move on from library books to my actual creaking TBR books.

I started this Dare when I saw it on a link to James Reads Books. Ever year he claims it's his last time running it, so this year I forgot to check but wanted to do it anyway because it's a good way to start my literary year. But it turns out he's got a new icon and everything!

I'm going to keep two lists, one of library books I finish and one of books that are MINE and that I finish.

MY TBR STACK:
  1. Wide Open, Deborah Coates (NOOK)
  2. The Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens
  3. Decider, Dick Francis (sorta. I pulled all the Francis's out to reread before March book club, so this gets it off my floor.)
  4. Hawk, Steven Brust (sorta. I borrowed this from my brother ages ago; now I can return it.)
  5. Blood and Betrayal, Lindsay Buroker (NOOK). NOOK books don't help my shelves much, but I do feel better when I read what I've bought.
  6. The Danger, Dick Francis (another Francis stacked on the floor)
  7. Shadows and Dreams, Alexis Hall (NOOK)
  8. How To Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You, The Oatmeal
  9. Why Pro-Life? Caring For the Unborn & Their Mothers, Randy Alcorn (NOOK)
  10. Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
  11. The Jury, Stephen J Adler
  12. What the Dormouse Said, Amy Gash (ed)
  13. NERDS, Michael Buckley

LIBRARY BOOKS (all checked out/reserved before Dec 31, 2014):
  1. A SEAL Wolf Christmas, Terry Spear
  2. The Waking Dark, Robin Wasserman
  3. A Love That Multiplies, Michelle &Duggar
  4. The Given Sacrifice, S.M. Stirling
  5. Undercity, Catherine Asaro
  6. There's a Boy In the Girl's Bathroom, Louis Sacher
  7. Ambassador, William Alexander
  8. Sammy Keyes and the Kiss Goodbye, Wendolyn Van Draanen
  9. Capture the Flag, Kate Messner
  10. Rose Under Fire, Elizabeth Wein
  11. Zero Day, David Baldacci
  12. Not Quite a Husband, Sherry Thomas
  13. Ardeur: 14 Writers on the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Series, ed. Laurell K Hamilton
  14. Across the Universe, Beth Revis
  15. Shiver, Maggie Stiefvater
  16. The Shadow Throne, Jennifer Nielsen
  17. The Escape, Mary Balogh
  18. Slow Reading in a Hurried Age, David Mikics
  19. Out of the Easy, Ruth Sepetys
  20. Archangel's Shadows, Nalini Singh 
  21. On Immunity, Eula Biss
  22. Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant, Roz Chast
  23. The Blood of Tyrants, Naomi Novik
  24. Weeping Willow, Ruth White
  25. The Stranger, Rachel Manija Brown & Sherwood Smith
  26. Possession, J.R. Ward

3 comments:

Mr. Chester said...

Glad to have you back. I have a slight double shelving problem, too, but I think I'll always have that.

kmitcham said...

And now you have a WHOLE OTHER bookcase; you should be able to get more books, right?

Kristen said...

Wait, you're going to stop checking library books out and concentrate on your current stack as well as your current owned tbr piles? Just excuse me for a second while I go out and buy a lottery ticket because hell must have frozen over!!! LOL!