Friday, May 13, 2016

Library Haul

badge-4
I miscalculated things badly this week, and ran out of Cybils reading since my son was reading the only one I still needed, and he had it at his father's house. So I had to rush over to the library on both Monday and Tuesday and grab books off the hold shelf before the ink of the pull slip was dry. Now he's returned and I've got a comfortable two weeks or so of Cybils reading stocked up. The next section is poetry, and I always read that slowly so I can give each poem a chance to settle. So two poetry books, then I'll finish YA Speculative Fiction (or whatever they are calling SF & Fantasy these days), and then back to finish off the poetry section.

My loot from the hold shelf, which consists of most of the Cybils Poetry finalists and one book club pick:
.Silver on the RoadWinter Bees  & Other Poems of the ColdHouse ArrestNational Geographic Book of Nature PoetryPaper HeartsThe Popcorn AstronautsFull Cicada Moon

Silver on the Road, Laura Gilman. The May Vaginal Fantasy book. Fast work by my library!

Winter Bees and Other Poems of the Cold, Joyce Sidman. Sidman writes fun science/nature poems.

House Arrest, K.A. Holt. I'm always glad to see a non-picture book poetry finalist. Except it's a verse novel, which I hate.

National Geographic Book of Nature Photography. The Cybils have taught me to respect the National Geographic press.

Paper Hearts, Meg Wiviott. Another verse novel for the Cybils.

The Popcorn Astronauts, Deborah Ruddell. A poetry picture book.

Full Cicada Moon, Marilyn Hilton. Yet another verse novel, but at least this one is set in Vermont.

I also saw a book I couldn't resist, and one for my 50 States challenge:
SkimReading up A Storm

Skim, by Mariko Tamachi. I think it's Asian Pacific History month or something at the library? They had a big selection of interesting books, which I was going to resist because I'm trying to read more from my shelves, but I've been missing graphic novels so I grabbed this one.

Reading Up a Storm, Eva Gates. Looks like a cozy mystery with cats, books, and a North Carolina setting. Bingo!

That's a total of 40 things out, which creeping up a bit, but I blame my son who has been slacking about finishing his Cybils books. Also a bunch of ebooks will silently disappear this week so next week should be better. I'll go look at the Library Loot which is at Silly Little Mischief this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post - feel free to steal the button (that pile of books up at the top) - and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

Library Questing

Here I document any progress I make in my Quest to read a book from every shelf in my local library.

Unnatural Causes (Adam Dalgliesh, #3)Unnatural Causes by P.D. James is the latest audio. The entire last disc is the confession of the killer, who left it conveniently behind for utterly unbelievable reasons. Of course, Dagliesh knew it all along, as shown by the clue (I want to say clew) he told the local cop to find. I also figured it out, although not as thoroughly, but I suspect I've read it a few decades ago so probably that helped. I liked the voice of the reading, and anyway I'm not picking up a P.D. James book for the mystery but for the characters.

Living with a Wild God: A Nonbeliever's Search for the Truth about EverythingSisterlandI'm still reading Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld, but I'm not really enjoying it and don't really care what happens to the characters. I only read a little bit each day, but I've started Living with a Wild God by Barbara Ehrenreich so I don't fall behind.

Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds...
Left For Dead
, J.A. Jance. This is another mystery, but it takes place in Arizona, which I need for my 50 states challenge.

No comments: