Saturday, October 24, 2020

Fall Dewey 24 Hour Readathon!

readathon3_lg



Hooray -- it's time for the Dewey 24 Hour Readathon! A great excuse for a lot of reading, and this year no worries about having to go someplace in the middle. I'm a Cybils judge this year so I need to buckle down and read some things!

I got a bingo card, I've got a roomful of books, I've declared myself exempt from all chores, and I'm ready to go! My mail goal is to read some middle grade nonfiction, and maybe some high school books as well. Oh, and if I finish off some of the dozen books with bookmarks in the middle that would be great. And I have a bunch of book clubs coming up and I need to read those books. Did I mention a bunch of my favorite authors just dropped some books?

Maybe a need a 7-Day readathon....

We'll see what happens.

Oh -- I almost forgot. There's a BINGO cards. Let's see if I can add them: 




descriptionImage


5:00 Start:
30 minutes: We Had to Be Brave. pp. -21-50. Cybils middle grade.
10 minutes: Blogging.

Mini-Challenge:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?    Renton, Washington
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? To Catch a Thief
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? mint lifesavers. 
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I'm a Cybils Judge. My kids are at college.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I'm going to try to read a little every hour. I've done these for years but sometimes I go hard and sometimes I just enjoy reading a little more than usual. This year I'm hoping to read a lot but not going for the full 24 hours.

6:00 Read:

Ten minute spring: (from twitter)
Children of Time. p.417-423
Long Time Until Now 426-443.

7:00 Read:

3 minutes: We Had to Be Brave 

I am storing up sleep mostly here.

8:00 - 11:00 Read:

I am storing up sleep mostly here. I slept in till about 8:30, checked social media and the Dewey blog, then got in my car and drove to a park.

8:30 - 8:50 checked social media. Read a picture book: William Still and His Freedom Stories. 
8:50 - 9:01: Listen to Tender Morsels in my car. . Then went on my walk.
10:00 - 11:00. Drove around -- dropped off ballet. Picked up library books. Dropped off paperback swap books in the mail. Treated myself to McD's for breakfast. Finished Tender Morsels and made it to last ten minutes of Don't Call Us Dead. 

11:00 Read

Catch up on Dewey spread sheet. Then 
11:50-12:00 Spring We Had to Be Brave. Ended on page 79.


12:00 Read

Now going to touch a bunch of books:


By Immortal Honor Bound: 172 - 174.
The Luminaries: 165-171
Bourne Supremacy: 52-53
Black Leopard Red Wolf: 365-373
Someplace to Be Flying: 328-331
Bone Witch: 124-138

13:00 Read

Cybils hour! I read a Cybils book and then updated the database.

We Had to Be Brave. Ended at page 133.

14:00 Read

I started Return of the Thief. And then I snuck downstairs so I wouldn't notice that I should switch back to Cybils reading. I am reading this slowly and savoring it. Also time for a reheated baked potato. And some leftover pizza. 

75 minute: Return of the Thief, pp -2 - 77

15:00 Read

Cybils again. Read the paper copy of Railway Jack.

Then I frittered away some time catching up on the Dewey blog and stuff, when I noticed a call for a 20 minute sprint on twitter. Back to the pages!

We Had to Be Brave. Now at page 175.

16:00 Read

Took a walk with my nephew. I insisted on bringing along Return of the Thief

Return of the Thief  now at page 150.


17:00 Read

Finished. We Had to Be Brave. Now at page 341 pages (the back matter was a fast skim).


18:00 Read

Touch base with Dewey blog, write up review of previous book, and back to Return of the Thief. Except I promised myself some more work on By Immortal Honor Bound. Up to page 200.

19:00 Read

Dinner, which I kept sneaking peaks at my dinner during. Also a break to check twitter and the blog.

20:00 Read

Back to By Immortal Honor Bound. Got to page 200.
Remembered I'm also reading Pleasant Profession of Robert A. Heinlein, so did pages 113-120. 
Rewarded myself with more Return of the Thief, up to page 224.

21:00 Read

Back to Cybils reading -- read a short middle grade essay book: The Talk: Conversations About Race, Love and Truth, Wade Hudson. Recommended.

22:00 Read

15 minutes: Don't Call Us Dead audio (finished it)
Spent time writing up compleion and playing on twitter and the blog. And assemblings more books to chose from in the wee hours.

23:00 Read

Return of the Thief now at 265.

By Immortal Honor Bound at 231.

Read middle grade science book Tracking Pythons.

24:00/00:00 Read

Catch up on Blog. Check twitter. Assess Bingo card. Black out not likely.

By Immortal Unbound now at 243. 

1:00 Read

Picked up Kiss Number 8.

2:00 

Finished By Immortal Honor Unbound! (172-261)

3:00 

Pushed ahead in Return of the Thief. But I don't want to finish it -- this is the last one! Stopped at page 302. 

Picked up Kiss Number 8.

4:00 

Ok, I have officially done some reading in each of the hours today.
Stopped Kiss Number 8 on page 234.

Closing Survey:

Closing Survey

  1. How would you assess your reading overall? I'm pleased -- I managed to settle into some books and make good progress, and I tackled a book that has been dragging for a few weeks and polished it off.
  2. Did you have a stategy, and if so, did you stick to it? I wanted to do some reading in each of the hours, and I managed it! I found reading sprints to be very helpful.
  3. What was your favorite snack? Leftover pizza
  4. Wanna volunteer for our next event? Stay tuned for the recap post! Probably! But I'm fading now. I've read in hour 24 so I can fall asleep now.

BINGO SCORE:

I got a Bingo, but no blackout. Got some random squares in the Movement one but only by accident.

Time to sleep!

2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm reading books for the Cybils, too. And I'm wearing my brand-new Cybils shirt and drinking out of my brand-new Cybils coffee mug.

Good luck!

I'm posting here, if you get a chance to stop in: https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2020/10/its-time-for-deweys-24-hour-read-thon.html

Ellie said...

I always feel like I need 7 days to get through my TBR stack and all the challenges, and social stuff going on. Good luck and I hope you get to at least some of your goals.