Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Beautiful Spring Break

Renton LibraryFor our first Spring Break Expedition, I hauled us off to a liquidation Borders store.  But of course we stopped at the library first, because their prices are EVEN BETTER.  There was some threat of mutiny among the ranks, because apparently spring break should be spent entirely in front of the TV screen, but I am bigger than them and so I win.   Also, I had holds waiting for me.  And books due.

Today I pulled down:
  • The Whistling Season, Ivan Doig.  Recommended by BookNAround
  • The Secret of the Yello Death, Suzanne Jurmain.  Cybils Nonfiction book.  Cheerful!
  • The Attenbury Emeralds, Jill Paton Walsh.  Not quite as good as a real Heyer, but I usually like Walsh anyway.
  • Pop! The Invention of Bubble Gum, Meaghan McCarthy.  Younger Cybils nonfiction book. Less gruesome.
  • Ballet of the Elephants, Leda Schubert.  Picture book mentioned on the Book-a-Day Almanac that looked fascinating.
We've just about finished all the picture books from last week, and there was another article about the next library in the local paper, so I started down the next row and got some series books, from American Girl through Ga'hoole.   And then I grabbed about six CDs.

That brings me to 86 items out on my card, which doesn't count the ebook.  I need to read some stuff and send it back.  Oops.  Marg at The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader (this week's host) and Clare from The Captive Reader take turns with the linky for Library Loot. That's where all us library lovers go to compare our hauls for the week.

PS.  What did we get at the book sale? I got a Tanya Huff, A talked me into a special edition of movie Eclipse and a magazine, N talked me into a game, X got some manga and a Pokemon book, and P got bupkis (well he got a surprise for someone else).  X won my heart by forgetting to give me his book while we were ringing them up, so we had to get in line again.  It's nice when your kids prove how closely they are related to you.

4 comments:

Angie said...

86 items checked out? Yowza! But it does sound like MY type of spring break!

Beth said...

I'm a little out of control, huh? But it includes a bunch of CDs, and a lot of picture books. It's still way too many, but when I'm in the library I just can't resist them.

Chinoiseries said...

Wow. 86 items. Even if my library would allow that, I'm not sure if I would ever be able to keep track of all these books and cd's xD
Enjoy your loot!

Christine said...

Hi Beth,
I love the way you always include little tidbits about your trips to the library (or bookstore!) with your children. :)

Enjoy all that loot!