Thursday, July 7, 2011

Monday on Friday

Renton Library
Monday was the 4rth of July, and everyone (me too!) was out of town plus the library was closed, so I made a preemptive strike on the previous Friday to return the things that would come due and check out the books hogging up the hold shelves.  It was also (finally) time to pick up the next swath of books in my Reading-the-Library project, so I finished off the juvenile series books shelves with six books from various series.

The hold shelves delivered:
  • The One Week Job Project: 1 Man, 1 Year, 52 Jobs by Sean Aiken.  I'm a sucker for these journey books, and it was on my TBR list.
  • Buffy, Ballads, and Bad Guys Who Sing: Music in the Worlds of Joss Whedon, edited by Kendra Preston Leonard.  I backed up a few books in my Buffy Stream challenge.
  • Facing Two Ways by Baroness Shidzue Ishimoto.  Next Rose Wilder Stream Challenge.
  • The Unsinkable Walker Bean by Aaron Renier.  Another Cybils book.
  • Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi.  I wasn't expecting this for another few weeks; the timing is awkward because I want to read it but don't want a hardback while traveling.  Why didn't the ebook arrive in time instead...
  • Moonshine by Rob Thurman.  This also came really quickly; it's Cal and Nick #2.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Angel Chronicles #1  by Nancy Holder.  Part of my master plan to get my twelve year old to read adult books.  Of course, it's shelved in YA, but still moving him to a new section of the library.
The six series books were:
  • Magic Kitten 1: A Summer Spell by Sue Bentley. I am trying to overcome my sexist preference for "boy" books.  
  • Martin Bridge 1: Ready for Takeoff by Jessica Scott Kerrin.  I almost feel like I'm cheating when I get the first book in a series. 
  • Oliver Nocturne 5: The Eternal Tomb by Kevin Emerson.  I should show this to my son, who also likes vampire books.
  • Perfectly Princess 3: Green Princess Saves the Day by Alyssa Crowne.  Is it possible that that is the author's real name?
  • Secrets of Droon 28: In the Shadow of Goll by Tony Abbot.  My kids never got into Droon, so this is new territory for me.
  • Yu-Gi-Oh 
A dangerous part of picking up the next books in the Reading-My-Library challenge is that there are other books in the library just daring me to check them out.  For example:
  • Emmy and the Home for Troubled Girls by Lynne Jonell, because I remember liking the first Emmy book.
  • City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems, which I grabbed while forcing N and his friend to listen to Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.  By the way, if I were the pigeon, they would have totally let me drive the bus.  Just sayin'.
  • Amanda and Her Alligator, by Mo Willems.  As a Willems fan and a member of my family, I was legally required to check out this book.
Also, since no one else thought it necessary to go to the library again so soon this week, no one else bothered to bring in their library cards.  As a result, I have checked out several things through no fault of my own, and probably won't even read them!  Although the disease books are a direct consequence of my challenging the boys to read more nonfiction.
  • Pokemon Master Quest: Around the Whirlpool Disc 1 (DVD)
  • Cholera by Ruth Bjorklund
  • The Ebola Virus by Shelley Bueche
  • The Black Plague by Jim Ollhoff
That brings me to 73 items out on my card, up twelve from last week. But one goes back tomorrow, and many of the others are short.  My excuses are endless! Marg at The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader and Clare from The Captive Reader take turns with the linky for Library Loot. That's where all us library lovers go to compare our hauls for the week.

No comments: