Friday, July 1, 2011

Sweet Summer Reading

Renton Library
We're making a second library run today, since we'll be out of town and the library will be closed next Monday.  I just noticed that I never posted last Monday's haul, so I'd better get this up quick so that it doesn't look like I'm over-indulging.  Heh heh heh.

Last week I brought home a new bunch of picture books, part of my challenge to read more kidlit from non-American (well, non USA-an) authors.  It turns out that this is harder than it looks, since it is hard to find the author's nationality in the catalog.  Also, Americans have a habit of going to foreign places and writing books about them, so grabbing picture books set elsewhere isn't very effective (although often fun).

The hold shelves delivered:
  • I'm Your Peanut Butter Big Brother by Canadian Selina Alko.  A book about bi-racial families that made us very hungry.
  • Once Upon a Time, by Niki Daley, a South African.  I think.
  • Jafta: Homecoming, by Jugh Lewin.  Another South African
  • Princess Grace, by British Mary Hoffman.
  • The Pot of Wisdom: Ananse Stories by Adwoa Badoe, a Ghanaian.
  • Eye of the Wolf, Daniel Pennac.  Not a picture book, but won an award for translation to English.  I think Pennac is French.
  • Duel, by David Grossman.  He's Israeli.
  • Toby Alone, by Timothy de Fombelle.  Another French translation winner.
  • I Now Pronounce You Someone Else, by Erin McCahan.  I have no idea who the author is, but this book is a Cybils YA Novel finalist.
  • Nowhere Near Respectable, Mary Jo Putney.  Nice beach candy.
From the "tempt you when you are weakest" shelves next to the checkout I also picked up:
  • Nowhere To Run, C.J. Box.  I'm hoping this helps out my 50 States challenge.
Finally, I made my son check out Night Owls because he lost the copy I had checked out and I have to pay for it before I can check anything else out.  Careless kid, but I'm not too upset because I think he lost it by attempting to get his brother to read it and I'm all about encouraging that young slacker to read more.

That brings me to 61 items out on my card.  I'm under my mother's age!  Go me!  Marg at The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader and Clare from The Captive Reader take turns with the linky for Library Loot. That's where all us library lovers go to compare our hauls for the week.

No comments: