Friday, July 5, 2013

Fireworks and Summer


Susie and Sophie want
good views of the fireworks
Another wonderful week of summer, with the boys enjoying their rowing camp, and tolerating the astronomy & story writing seminar that I signed them up for. Fourth of July was fun -- it's the first time in ages that I've been home for it (I miss you, Ellen!) so I don't really have any traditions. Since it fell on a Thursday, it was my turn to cook, so I dragged X out shopping with me and made some fun salads (sardine pasta & roasted potato). Then I served hot dogs and corn on the cob so as to satisfy patriotic requirements, with French croissants and ice cream for dessert. We ate outside as a picnic, which was much cooler than usual, since I was in Washington instead of Texas.

The city here bans all fireworks, so at 10pm I volunteered to take A & N to see the show over the lake, and I forced P to accompany us. We spread our blanket and chairs on the beach and enjoyed a nice display, close enough to see well but far enough away that no painfully loud music assaulted us. I offered to sing patriotic songs to the kids, but they all demurred. 

I'm still hitting my book a day, although counting the picture books seems like cheating. And so far they are almost all library books, because that's what I'm drowning in.

June 21: Lord Peter Views the Body, Dorothy Sayers (audio), library
June 22: Mrs. Harkness and the Panda, Alicia Potter, (PB), library
June 23:  Smells Like Dog, Suzanne Selfors, (kidlit), library
June 24: Eggs 1 2 3 Who Will the Babies Be, Janet Halfman,
June 25: Looking at Lincoln, Maira Kalman,
June 26: Blue Jasmine, Kashmira Sheth
June 27:The Worst Case Scenario: Deadly Seas, David Borgenicht & Alexander Lurie
June 28: The Guardian (The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier), Jack Campbell

June 29: Last Scene Alive, Charlaine Harris, (mystery), reread
June 30: Dead Over Heels, Charlaine Harris, (mystery), reread
July 1: Mirage, Matt Ruff(SF), library
July 2: Fire Lord's Lover,  Kathryn Kennedy (SF, Romance), library
July 3: The Giant Ball of String, Arthur Geisert (PB), library
July 4: Four Corners, Kira Salek, (memoir), library



No comments: