Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Eye on the Goal

Renton LibraryAll my books this week are concentratd on my Where Are You Reading Challenge, which calls for me to read a book from each of the 50 states. I've thrown in Washington, D.C. in the interests of fairness, and find myself staring down December with some significant gaps. So last week I raced around the online library catalog and ordered up books to meet those gaps.

Hidden in Plain ViewThe Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio
Hidden in Plain View, Jacqueline Tobin & Raymond Dobard. This chronicles the quilts used to guide and assist the Underground Railroad, which sounds fascinating. It's centered around South Carolina.

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio, Terry Ryan. I've actually had this book on my to-read list for years, but now that Ohio has become a standing joke in our house (I've started about ten books that mention Ohio before veering off somewhere else) I'm going to pin down the tale and the state.

When We Were Strangers
When We Were Strangers, Pamela Schoenewaldt. This looks like a strong story of an immigrant and dreams, but it also appears to take place in Chicago, so I have no idea what I was thinking. It may have to wait for next year.

I also got a few books for my High School son, mainly Steven Brusts so he can finish devouring the Vlad series. And a music CD.

No comments: