Friday, August 22, 2014

Aiming For Sanity (But Missing)


My regular library continues to lack walls (and books) so I trundled along to the back-up library with the three boys. The girl is off hosting her Japanese exchange friend, so she's been busy seeing the sights of Seattle while I stay home with the boys and relax into the last weeks of summer vacation.

I have carefully scheduled as little as possible into these days, to ensure we have time to laze about reading, play too many hours of video games, and stare into the refrigerator hoping that something will inspire us into eating it.
Good times!

I had three books on my hold shelf, plus the missing House of Anubis DVD from last week. Taking its appearance as a Sign From Above, I brought it home and just hope the previous one shows up before this one comes due.

The Book ThiefSteadfastTreaties, Trenches, Mud, and BloodHe, She, and It

Book Thief was recommended by my elementary school book club. I'm slowly realizing that I'm not going to finish their list of summer recommendations, since I think there are about twenty left and summer for me ends on September 3rd. Oops. Well, being late has never particularly troubled me, so I shall continue on.  

Steadfast is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me; it's not Jack Campbell's best writing (those would be the Moon books he wrote as Jack Hemry) but I really like the story and the characters, so I just ignore the words and watch the movie in my head.

Nathan Hales' Treaties, Trenches, Mud and Blood is the next in his series of historical graphic novels, which I learned about through the Cybils and now continue to seek out on my own. It was immediately confiscated by the 10th grader, so he's doing something right.

The August pick for the Vaginal Fantasy is Marge Piercy's He, She, and It, so I'm glad my reserve of the ebook came in. Lucky for me the discussion is delayed until the first week of September, so I might have time to finish it.

Summer is still going, so I'm still doing my start-a-book-a-day. (I don't finish a book a day, so my currently-reading stack is ENORMOUS.)  I'm concentrating on my library books, hoping to bring it down to a reasonable pile by the end of September. I turned in more than I checked out today, so that's a good sign, right? I must say, planning this in advance makes me feel like I'm in control, and then I trip on the mountain that is my currently-reading bag, and I see what an illusion that is.

Friday: The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (library book, sequel)
Saturday: Rogue (my book)
Sunday:  Clean Sweep (library, for fun)
Monday: Captain Marvel : In Pursuit of Flight (library, Cybils)
Tuesday: Mrs Pollifax, Pursued  (library book, for fun)
Wednesday: Always Abigail, Nancy J. Cavanaugh (my book, because I WON IT)
Thursday: Growing Up Brave  (library book, for fun)

He, She, and It
is waiting on my ebook for me, so at least one of these will get bumped.

badge-4So I currently have 43 books out on my library card, which is better than last week.

 I'll go sign in to Library Loot which is at Silly Little Mischief this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

No comments: