Friday, August 29, 2014

School Bells Warming Up


I actually made two trips to my library this week, due to an unexpected emergency. Well, for some definitions of emergency, in this case it means "mentioning to my nephew that his DVD had arrived." I tried to resist my hold shelf, but was unsuccessful. I know this is silly, because I can't read anything I just checked out because I'm going to be so busy reading the stuff that is almost due, but the books sang so sweetly...

Of course, I had to go back again on my regular library day, and by then I had another book on hold. And the display by the self-checkout was books about reading, which are irresistible to me. By the way, that picture is still my main library, but I actually went to my backup library, which has walls. And books.

Anyway, on my first trip to the library I got:
Anubis Speaks!TemplarWar Brothers
All three are Cybils books, but the first is a reread because our family book club picked it.

And on my second trip I got:
Slow Reading in A Hurried AgeCaptain MarvelFury of the DemonStories of your Life and Others
All just because they look like fun. The reading book is because I love reading about reading, and the next two are sequels to books I liked. Oh, that last one is an e-book, and the next Sword and Laser pick.

Also, I found myself with an hour to spare in a mall with a book store. So I got a couple of books, and then found the NOOKs on sale, so I replaced my older son's broken one. Which meant I had to buy some online books because it comes with a $5 credit. I have to say that their online gift certificate system is very annoying. It seems to go for the biggest card first, but only lets you have three in the system at a time, which means that it's easy to get stuck with several tiny amounts clogging up your account. I decided the only thing to do was to blow through all my current gift cards and start fresh.
The Lies of Locke LamoraCodex Born: (Magic Ex Libris: Book Two)
I really wanted to buy an Elizabeth Bear book, but the silly store was out. So I got a book by her boyfriend instead. I think I'll make my kid read it to see if I'll like it. And Codex Born is a book about books, so I'm a natural.

Forged in Blood II (The Emperor's Edge Final Book)EncryptedVeronica Mars: The Thousand Dollar Tan LineCivil ContractThe Novels of Alexander the Great: Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy, and Funeral Games

This is the last week of my start-a-book-a-day summer fiesta. Just as well -- even if I read a book a day this week, I will still fall behind, since I brought home six seven library books and seven personal books.  I think I'll wean myself off next week by starting a book every other day, and then every third day, until finally I'm down to only reading ten or so books at once. That's what normal people do, right?

Friday: Quatrain (my book)
Saturday: Magic City (library book, for fun) My 10th grader liked these short stories.
Sunday:  Black Butler 2 (recommended by book club). Also enjoyed by 10th grader.
Monday: Boxers & Saints (Cybils)
Tuesday:  Growing Up Brave  (library book, for fun)
Wednesday: Anna of Byzantium (my book)
Thursday: Into the Forest (for book club, which I just realized I'm going to miss)


badge-4So I currently have 46 books out on my library card, which is actually a lot, right?

 I'll go sign in to Library Loot which is at The Captive Reader this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

No comments: