Friday, January 29, 2016

Library Loot

badge-4I wanted to start the Cybils finalist list promptly, because I like to finish it by the autumn and because it's fun to read as many books as I can before they announce the winners. But it appears that either they are picking more popular titles or other people are also using it for their reading list. Humph! So there were long wait lines for holds on several of the books.

And they all took about four weeks to come through, so now instead of scrambling to find any Cybils to read, I have a bag full. Oops.

The hold shelf gave me:
Libriomancer100 Best Books for ChildrenA Bride's StoryDragons Beware!Every Last WordGive Me WingsI Will Always Write BackMost Dangerous

Libriomancer, Jim Hines. For my Tuesday book club. Actually, this wasn't on the hold shelf, as my library had it without me even asking.

100 Best Books For Children, Anita Silvey. I put this on my hold list back in October. I love books about books.

Bride's Story 6, Kaoru Mori. Still enjoying these.

Dragon's Beware, Jorge Aguirre. A Children's graphic Cybils finalist. Also our next family book club pick.

Every Last Word, Tamara Ireland Stone. A YA fiction Cybils finalist.

Give Me Wings, Kathy Lowinger. A YA nonfiction Cybils finalist.

I Will always Write Back, Caitlin Alifirenka & Martin Ganda w/ Liz Welch. A YA nonfiction Cybils finalist.

Most Dangerous, Steve Sheinkin. A YA nonfiction Cybils finalist.

I also got an ebook:
Mortal Heart
Mortal Heart, LaFevers. The next Cybils book. Well, not the next, because other people are in line ahead of me for that, but the next one that was available instantly. I got this on Monday, before the deluge on Thursday.

I've currently got 42 things out from the library, including ebooks, books for me, and books for the kids. That's the same as last week, but I hope it will trend downward as the hold avalanche slows.

I'll go sign in to Library Loot which is at The Captive Reader this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

I'm continuing my Library Quest.  I'm still in the Large Print Fiction section, so everything feels thick and important.

The Miracle at Speedy MotorsThe Miracle at Speedy Motors, Alexander McCall Smith.  I like the small, personal stakes for these books, much the way I like the Aunt Dimity books, only with kinder protagonists.  Because our lives are made of such small matters, and these lives matter. I like how the characters are decent, although some are kinder than others; all see it worthwhile to get along. Sometimes it's easier to hope that other change instead of exerting yourself, but the basic goal is the same.

Between PlanetsBetween Planets, Robert Heinlein: Full Cast Audio. I rushed through and finished this because the boys were enjoying the 1950's version of Future Science (information encoded on thin microwires -- a whole book the size of a ring!) and I wanted to clear the library decks a bit. I'll definitely consider the other Full Cast Audio versions of these books for future road trips.

I'm still listening to Hild by Nicola Griffith, which is a deeper story on many levels. The pace of a audio bugs me more with these, because I can't go faster if I'm anxious to find out what happens.

No comments: