Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Nominate the Good Books!

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Nominations are now open for the 2018 Cybils Awards!

And I'm starting to read books that were actually nominated in my category, Middle Grade Speculative Fiction. So make sure only the best get in there.


My currently reading edged back up to 28. I'll worry about that next year.

The Book Date does a weekly roundup of what people are reading, want to read, or have read each week called It's Monday! What Are You Reading so I'll sign up there. There's also a version that is kidlit focussed at either Teach Mentor Texts or Unleashing Readers and obviously I will be qualified for that as I spent last week reading several books that people were thinking of nominating.

This Week I started:

Toaff's WayThe Book of BoyThe Milly-Molly-Mandy StorybookThe Rose Legacy (The Rose Legacy, #1)
The Corpse at the Crystal Palace (Daisy Dalrymple, #23)Voyage of the DogsTwo Mates for the Dragon: MMF Bisexual Menage Romance

Toaff's Way, Cynthia Voigt. Eligible.

The Book of Boy, Catherine Murdock. Also eligible.

The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook, Joyce Brisley. Recommended by Talbot Hill Elementary book club.

The Rose Legacy, Jessica George. Eligible.

The Corpse at the Crystal Palace, Carola Dunn. OK, I just like Daisy Dalrymple, OK?

Voyage of the Dogs, Greg Van Eekhout. Eligible.

Omega Required, Dessa Lux. I like her fanfiction so I wanted to try her fiction.

Two Mates for the Dragon, ed. Zoe Chant. I bought this for a charity.


2017 Cybils Reading

Once Upon a JungleHatching Chicks in Room 6Danza!: Amalia Hernández and El Ballet Folklórico de MéxicoDazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion
Adrift at Sea: A Vietnamese Boy's Story of SurvivalShark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean's Most Fearless ScientistWhat Makes a Monster?: Discovering the World's Scariest Creatures


Read through the nonfiction picture books from last year. The winner was my second place, but it was really good.

I finished:

Toaff's WayThe Book of BoyThe Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
Encrypted (Forgotten Ages, #1)Eye of Truth (Agents of the Crown, #1)The Corpse at the Crystal Palace (Daisy Dalrymple, #23)
The Rose Legacy (The Rose Legacy, #1)Voyage of the DogsTwo Mates for the Dragon: MMF Bisexual Menage Romance

Toaff's Way, Cynthia Voigt.

The Book of Boy, Catherine Murdock.

The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook, Joyce Brisley. Sweet stories about a girl in a small English town and her tiny adventures.

Encrypted, Lindsay Buroker. We see the young assassin at work, and we see his hero in action!

The Eye of Truth, Lindsay Buroker. Two people from opposite ends of society find their paths intertwined.

The Corpse at the Crystal Palace, Carola Dunn. I love Daisy's ability to say "no." She's kind and helpful, but she has no problem setting boundaries. And solving murders.

The Rose Legacy, Jessica George.

Voyage of the Dogs, Greg Van Eekhout.

Omega Required, Dessa Lux. Cute romance about werewolves who must learn the importance of friendship and connection, and also basic common sense.


Bookmarks In:

Son of the Black Sword (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #1)Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human CadaversJade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)Stinger
Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #2)Too Like the Lightning (Terra Ignota, #1)Lady Rogue (The Royal Rewards #3)
Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8)Shadow of Doubt (Robyn Hunter, #5)The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle #6)The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths & Magic

Son of the Black Sword, Larry Correia. 10/? Baen's podcast serial. Traveling to the main office.

Stiff, Mary Roach. Audio Reading My Library Quest book. It's a great book for the car since it consists of fairly short bits in easily digested chunks.

Jade City, Fonda Lee. Last month's Sword and Laser pick. Only a few pages this week.

Stinger
, Nancy Kress. Kress is the next Foolscap GoH. I was easily distracted.

Honor Among Thieves, James A. Corey. My next Reading My Library book. Pushed ahead a few pages.

Too Like the Lightning, Ada Palmer.

Lady Rogue, Teresa Romain. Time for a sex scene!

Someplace to Be Flying, Charles D. Lint.

Shadow of Doubt, Norah McClintock.

Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula LeGuin.

The Rules and Regulations for Mediating Myths and Magic, F.T. Lukens. Cybils YA fantasy book. The adventure is fun but the self-inflicted social drama is exhausting for the aged reader.

Palate Cleansers

These books I'm barely reading; I use them as palate cleansers between books I'm actually reading.

A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11)Sammy Keyes and the Art of DeceptionChange of Heart (Robyn Hunter, #7)The Inn of the Sixth HappinessReading and Learning to Read

A Traitor to Memory, Elizabeth George.

Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception, Wendelin Van Draanen.

Change of Heart, Norah McClintock.

Inn of the Sixth Happiness, Alan Burgess.

Reading and Learning to Read, Jo Anne Vaca.

2018 Challenge Progress:
  1. Cybils 2017! 60/104-ish. Read the elementary nonfiction, and ordered the middle grade ones.
  2. Reading My Library: Working (slowly) on the James Corey book and Mary Roach's Stiff.
  3. Where Am I Reading 2018?: 38/51. I have to hope for middle grade paranormal adventures set in the remaining states!

1 comment:

Cheriee Weichel said...

I am a 2nd level judge in the graphic novel category. I've started reading as many as I can find already though.