Monday, December 30, 2019

Home Again, Jiggety Jog

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
Here in the grey period between Christmas and New Year I'm relaxing at home, ignoring any chores, and reading whatever I want. The boys have gone off to their dad's for New Years and the cats are happy to snuggle after their week with only each other for company.

I had a great Christmas with my family in Salt Lake. My brother and sister-in-law are amazing hosts, the kids were all lovely with only a few squabbles. Well, there aren't really any kids any more -- the newer adults were as much fun to be around as my siblings and their spouses. We went to see the new Star Wars movie, failed an escape room, and dragged the two 21+ niblings off to a neat bar that masquerades as a speakeasy and tried out some fancy cocktails. I gave the kids flashlights and packing knives and a t-shirt each. Oh, and a book, of course. I told everyone that if they didn't like their book they could give it back to me, but sadly no one took me up on that.

Cybils Awards
The drive home was pleasant -- my brother never gave up the wheel until he pulled into the ferry station where the boat was waiting to take him to his island. Well, it waited until he dashed aboard at any rate. I think he was intimidated by the lack of leg room in any seat but the drivers', but I like being a passenger and he likes avoiding my driving. We listened to a fun cosy mystery (a Daisy Dalrymple) story all the way home, although he jumped out of the car about 90 seconds before the end.

My currently reading shelf has shot up to the mid-twenties, mainly a hangover from the Cybils (which are announced tomorrow!). At some point I should notice that I have an avalanche of book clubs the first week of January, but that's next year! Next decade even! I haven't started anything.

The Book Date does a weekly roundup of what people are reading, want to read, or have read each week called It's Monday! What Are You Reading so I'll sign up there. Ditto for the children's lit version at either Teach Mentor Texts or Unleashing Readers. 

Started: 

Lord Darcy Investigates (Lord Darcy, #3)Bloodshot (Cheshire Red Reports, #1)To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)Masques (Sianim, #1)

Lord Darcy Investigates, Randall Garratt. Book from my shelves.

Bloodshot, Cherie Priest. By the next Foolscap GoH.

To Davy Jones Below, Carola Dunn. Another audio for the drive.

Masques, Patricia Briggs. Finishing off a set.


Completed:

A Light in the Darkness: Janusz Korczak, His Orphans, and the HolocaustDamsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)The Electric War: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Light the World

A Light In the Darkness, Albert Marrin. Cybils nonfiction. There was no happy ending. I mean, the Nazis were eventually defeated, but not until after the titular Light in the Darkness is killed in Treblinka along with all the orphans he had hoped to help. Along with most of the residents of the Jewish Ghetto. And Warsaw. My only quibble is that the book works better as a history of the Holocaust than as a biography of Janusz Korczak, who mostly disappears from the narrative after he and his orphans are locked up to starve in the ghetto.

Damsel in Distress, Carola Dunn. Audio for car drive. We finished it on the way back. Daisy and her chums save the day while sprinkling delicious period slang all about. The fun in this one is that they hook up with some Americans so there are two different flavors of slang getting flung about. Gosh!

To Davy Jones Below, Carola Dunn. Having finished one, we started another. Poor Kevin got out of the car 2 minutes before it ended, but I think he got most of the effect. This one has more Americans, but sadly they don't talk as much. I remembered a bit of the plot so I got to watch it unfold while sorta understanding what was going on, which was a comfortable feeling.

The Electric War, Mike Winchell. Cybils nonfiction. The twists and turns of the development of electricity and then the electric grid, with Edison showing little concern of ethics as he pushes his way forward. Having met Edison in a previous book, I have to say he comes off better in the Paris World Fair than he does in the following Chicago one, and it's too bad Westinghouse didn't try harder to make things up to Tesla.


Bookmarks Moved (Or Languished) In:

Son of the Black Sword (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #1)Tender MorselsBook Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and ReasonOne Good Dragon Deserves Another (Heartstrikers, #2)
The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #2)Jonathan Strange & Mr NorrellConCom: Conflict Communication A New Paradigm in Conscious Communication
Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)Brave Face


Son of the Black Sword, Larry Correia. 76/? Baen's podcast serial. I didn't listen to this on the drive as the other people in the car had missed the 75 previous installments.

Tender Morsels, Margo Lanagan. 4/10 discs. Finished the third disk!

Book Lust, Nancy Pearl. Still reading in tiny bursts.

One Good Dragon Deserves Another, Rachel Aaron. The plan is a bit tricky..

The Poppy War, R.F. Kuang. Last month's Sword and Laser pick. Waiting to recover it.

Tropic of Serpents, Marie Brennan. The library called this home.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Susanna Clarke. The audio arrived as I drove into the Christmas home, but the allure of Daisy Dalrymple was too strong.

ConCom: Conflict Communication, Rory Miller. This got left behind. I'll try to finish before the New Year. I have two days left, so this could happen.

Once a Spy, Mary Jo Putney. I'm enjoying this although I didn't get much reading done over the holiday. The romantic pair is a bit long in the tooth -- just about thirty! They've decided that they are too old for sex, so they will have a marriage of convenience. And then they start to realize what kind of book they are in....

Brave Face, Shaun Hutchinson. Cybils nonfiction longlist. I've read the beginning, some of the middle, and the end. And I read some more of the middle.


Picture Books / Short Stories:

None.


Palate Cleansers

These books I'm barely reading; I use them as palate cleansers between books I'm actually reading. Of course, since I was off having Christmas in Utah, they were untouched.

A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11)The Educated Child: A Parents Guide from Preschool Through Eighth GradeCookieGive All to Love (Sanguinet Saga, #11)Tell the Wolves I'm HomeReading and Learning to Read

A Traitor to Memory, Elizabeth George.

The Educated Child, William Bennett.

Cookie, Jacqueline Wilson.

Give All to Love, Patricia Veryan.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home, Carol Rifka Brunt.

Reading and Learning to Read, Jo Anne Vaca.

Reading Challenges
  1. Cybils 2017. Nothing.
  2. Cybils 2018.  Nothing. Yikes!
  3. Reading My Library. Nothing.

7 comments:

Linda B said...

I will look up A Light In The Darkness, always interested in that historical period. My daughter is fascinated with the way Edison (& others) treated Tesla. I'll share The Electric War with her. Sounds like a nice Christmas adventure & now a week to read & relax! Happy New Year!

Cheriee Weichel said...

I'm looking forward to the Finalists for the Cybils revealed. As a judge of the finalists, I'm hoping I can find copies of all the books in time! I have added The Electric War to my must read in 2020 nonfiction list.

Kathryn T said...

Your Christmas sounds like it was entertaining and sometimes its nice to just sit back in the car. Enjoy your peaceful New Year and wishing you great reading in the new decade.

kmitcham said...

My head-cannon is still that Gotobed knew what was up, and murdered all three, and gets away with it by acting the fool. Heck, I bet he has a hushed up history of goldiggers 'taking advantage' of him, and ending up dead.

Beth said...

In the two minutes at the end that you missed, Alec specifically says that your canon is a possibility, but that he doesn't want to spend his holiday trying to get proof. Gotobed's murderous crusade is apparently sanctioned by Scotland Yard.

Girl Who Reads said...

I'm glad you had a good trip. I mostly read what I wanted to read in December, though I did start on a few January ARCs because I just couldn't wait to get to them. I'm sorry it took me all week to get your blog. See what I read at Girl Who Reads

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

My goodness, my mom used to sing the "Jiggety Jog" song every time we arrived back home after a long trip. I had never heard anyone else refer to it, so I sorta assumed she made it up (she was a song writer, so this isn't too far-fetched). Anyway, glad to hear you're back up on your book numbers. And I've been so out of it this last week that I guess I missed the CYBILs announcement. Aghhhh! Gotta catch up over here. I'll "see" you again in just a couple days, Beth!