Saturday, September 17, 2011

Responsibility Is Me

Renton Library
It was a very quiet trip to the library -- one sick kid was excused, and one kid was off on a shopping expedition.  But I've now added a stop at the local bakery as part of the library ritual, and now everyone loves books again.

I headed straight for the hold shelves:
  • Twin Spica Vol 2, Kou Yaginuma. Continuing the story
  • Anna Hibiscus, Atinuke.  Cybils finalist.
  • Yummy: Last Days of a Southside Shorty, G. Neri.  Cybils finalist.
  • Zebra and Other Stories, Chaim Potak.  How nice of an author I like to write a book starting with the letter "Z."
  • I Am a Man, Joe Starita.  I'm hoping this takes place in the midwest.
I then headed to the children's section where I quickly grabbed a book from the next four library shelves in the J Fiction area.  I don't close my eyes when I pick, but I don't like to spend too much time deciding either.  I did find myself leaning towards non-fantasies in the hope that some books would happen in actual American states:
  • Ivy + Bean,  Annie Barrows.  I've always meant to read these.
  • The Potato Chip Puzzles, Eric Berlin.  A nice yellow cover.
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late,  Pseudonymous Bosch.
  • The Dark Pond, Joseph Bruchac.  A known author, new book.
Then two kids picked out a CD case each, which I then rejected with scorn since I was at my age limit.  I told them they could check out their own music, and they laughed with their own scorn.  Apparently I'm the only one who avoids music radio on our car. 
    That brings me to 43 items out on my card. Guess how old I am!  I'm so proud of me.  Marg at The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader and Clare from The Captive Reader (this week's host) take turns with the linky for Library Loot. That's where all us library lovers go to compare our hauls for the week.

    1 comment:

    Christine said...

    I love your "age limit" on the number of books borrowed from the library. If I used that system, I'd be able to borrow one less book than you... but not for long! ; )

    I love this even more, though: "I've now added a stop at the local bakery as part of the library ritual, and now everyone loves books again."

    Happy reading!