Saturday, October 1, 2011

Future Me: Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade

When I reserved the next Cybils Early Chapter Book finalist, I noticed that the library had Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade in an epub version, so I grabbed that.  Instant delivery!  I wasn't sure how it would work; picture books definitely do not read well on my black and white NOOK, and illustrations are often an important part of a chapter book.  Luckily most pictures were half page, so that I could see them in full and clearly.

In this case my bias against "girl" books worked against Stephanie Greene's story; in the words of my seventh grade son it was "just too pink.  Pinky."  I didn't really start to like Posey until she poked the teasing neighbor kid with a stick.  The story painted her character fairly clearly, although I thought her connection to her baby brother annoyingly stereotypical ("I was the baby until you got here.")  But she didn't do anything to solve her problem, and no one even suggested that maybe showing courage was an option.  Although it read easily enough I feel no need to search out the next one, or even to wonder what happens to Posey next.  This is probably a flaw in me more than in the book.

No comments: