Monday, May 28, 2012

Back to the Library

Renton Library
Well, I have slowed down the flood of incoming hold books, but my library exposure is still very high. If I were a bank, the feds would shut me down. But I'll keep dancing happily until the due-dates crush me like a bug.

This week I dragged some kids along with me to the library, and to my joy X wandered about and collected his own towering stack. That kid is my favorite!  I restrained myself to about four books, two holds and two impulse buys:

Image of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of item

  • Delusions of Gender, Cordelia Fine.  The enthusiastic review by Jenny's Books, combined with the months of inactivity on my Science book challenge convinced me to throw this on my hold list. Also, I expect it will say things I want to hear, which is always warming.
  • The Temple of Texts, William H. Gass.  The next up on my TBR list, which I'm lagging on sadly. I can't even remember how it got on there two years ago, but it looks like a book of essays, which I do like.  Maybe past-me knew what she was about.
  • The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling, Maryrose Wood.  I've been meaning to read this book, it's been proposed for my book club, and it was on the tempt-me shelves. How could I resist?
  • Forgive Me, I Meant to Do It, Gail Carson Levine. Even my poetry-phobic kids enjoyed the canonical poem by William Carlos Williams, and I bet they'll enjoy this collection of false apology poems. Maybe I'll even get them to make their own... nah, won't happen.

This brings me to a total of um, 64 items out on my card, plus a few ebooks that I'm in denial about. The good news is that this is not higher than last week! The bad news is that it isn't lower, either.  Oops. So no prize for me this week. Sigh.

I'll go share my Library Loot at the event co-hosted by Claire from the Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader, where all the library addicts compare their treasures.

No comments: