Spring poked its head into the Northwest this week, and I sure hope it likes what it sees and settles in. This got so good that I actually went for a run. Well, more of a toddle really, but perhaps it can lead to better stuff. I also make some progress on my Cybils challenge, reading most of the small chapter books.
This may be the longest I've ever made it through a TBR dare, so I'm chuffed about that. I'm still not sure I'll make it all the way to the end (March is a very long month), but I'm proud of making it to St Patricks Day. Now I'll sign in at Book Journey and Teach Mentor Texts since I want to see what everyone else is reading this month while I show off my recent reading path.
- The War With Grandpa, Robert Kimmel Smith. For my school book club. Fun read.
- Kelsey Green, Reading Queen, Claudia Mills. Cybils Early Chapter Book finalist.
- The Case of the Toxic Mutants (Dragonbreath #9), Ursula Vernon. Cybils Early Chapter Book finalist.
- Nory Ryan's Song, Patricia Reilly Giff. A book about Ireland, appropriate for the holiday.
- Georges, Alexandre Dumas. NOOK. This adventure story was also the oldest book on my Goodreads TBR list.
- Keep Me Forever, Marlene Darcy. A paranormal I've been slowly reading.
- The Dragon and the George, Gordon R. Dickson. A book from my shelves.
- Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat, Anna Branford. Cybils Early Chapter Book finalist. Started rereading it with my early reader.
- Home Sweet Horror, James Preller. Cybils Early Chapter Book finalist.
- Undead and Unwed, MaryJanice Davidson. NOOK. For Vaginal Fantasies.
- Lulu and the Dog From the Sea, Hilary McKay. Cybils Early Chapter Book finalist.
- Love Bites (My Sister the Vampire), Sienna Mercer. Another book from my shelves.
- The Nowhere Box, Sam Zuppardi. Someday I want to read a picture book about an older sibling who sometimes wants to play by himself and that's OK. But not this book -- the kid comes to the Important Realization that it is More Fun To Play With Your Siblings.
- One Week Girlfriend, Monica Murphy. I got distracted by other books, but so far this is cute, if young for me.
- The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater (book & NOOK). How the really rich are different from the rest of us.
- The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax, Dorothy Gilman. AUDIO. I love sharing things I like with my kids.
- War For the Oaks, Emma Bull. I've been meaning to read this for decades.
- The Unseen Guest (Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place), Maryrose Wood. Library -- next on my Reading My Library Quest.
- Long May She Reign, Ellen Emerson White. I didn't actually finish this in time for book club, but I'm enjoying enough to finish it late.
- Radio Fifth Grade, Gordon Korman. Crises approaching as all roads intersect.
- Out to Canaan, Jan Karon. BBQ meets air-show.
- A General Theory of Love, Thomas Lewis. Training your brain with neural networks.
- The Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens. Pickwick in prison -- dull.
- How To Write Science Fiction & Fantasy, Orson Scott Card. Info-dumping with style.
2014 Challenge Progress:
- TBR Triple Dog Dare: 21. Two more weeks before I can buy more books!
- Cybils: 28/77. Almost finished the Early Chapter Books and started on poetry. Oh, and I just noticed that McKinley's Shadows is on the list. Woot!
- Where Am I Reading? 16/51. Unchanged, which is OK. I'm currently reading books set in California and Virginia, which is good. Oh, and Georges was set in the
South PacificAfrica! Oops. I mean, it's an island, but culturally I guess it belongs to Africa.
- Alphabetically Inclined: 13/26. Half-way already! Still only using books on my shelves.
- What's In a Name?: 4/7. Got a time reference. Still need weather, school subject, and shape.
- Book Bingo: 19 Squares. New Releases will be easier once I'm off the Triple Dog Dare.
- Gentle Spectrum Challenge: 5/10, 4/10. No changes, since I'm not counting the youngest books.
- Small Fry Safari: 4/8 -- A picture book and Rump fall into Name in Title and Unsightly in Title.
- PoC Speculative Fiction 1/5: I'm counting on the Cybils to help me out here.
- Best of the Best 2012: 51/25. I have The Night Circus on deck, and another audio waiting for after I finish Mrs. Pollifax.
- Reading My Library: Should finish Maryrose Wood's book soon.