Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Best of the Best Challenge!

I'm about to try something new. I'm entering a challenge without worrying about whether I'll succeed! Unlike, say, the TBR Dare, which I meant to do but failed at the last gate, for this one I'm just along for the ride.

The Best of the Best Reading Challenge calls for participants to read at least 25 of the 80 titles in the winners and honor books of the many awards given by YALSA -- Alex, Edwards, Morris, Nonfiction, Odyssey and Printz awards, and they throw in the Top Ten lists and some other ribbons and stars.

They only allow 13 weeks -- it started April 1st and ends June 30th, and anything you read before doesn't count. I really don't think I'll make the minimum 25 books by the deadline, but I'll see how much longer it takes me. And it will be fun to see how far I do get, as well as give me an excuse to read some books I've been wanting to read anyway. And I believe there is some overlap with other challenges (Cybils, and maybe I'll get some more states out of this!).

Some very kind person make a list of the titles at Goodreads, so I don't have to click all over to see what qualifies. And then I just copied all the titles to my own list here because I didn't see how to differentiate audio titles with the other one.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far:
  1. Between Shades of Gray (Morris, Top Ten Best Fiction) (so it should count twice!)
  2. Scarlet (10 Great Graphic Novels)
  3. Thor: The Mighty Avenger, V. 1 & 2 (10 Great Graphic Novels) (does this count as 2 books?)
  4. Wandering Son (10 Great Graphic Novels)
  5. Zahra's Paradise  (10 Great Graphic Novels)
  6. Ghetto Cowboy (Odyssey Award)
  7. Bride's Story 1 (10 Great Graphic Novels)
  8. Sugar Changed the World (Nonfiction Award)
  9. How They Croaked (Top Ten Amazing Audiobooks)
  10. Geektastic (Top Ten Paperbacks)
  11. Chain Reaction (Quickpick for Reluctant Readers)
  12. My Boyfriend is a Zombie (Top Ten Paperbacks)
  13. Where Things Come Back ( Morris, Printz) (hey, does this count twice?)
  14. Daybreak (10 Great Graphic Novels)
  15. Pavement Chalk Artist (Quickpick for Reluctant Readers)
  16. Infinite Kung Fu (10 Great Graphic Novels)
  17. The Influencing Machine (10 Great Graphic Novels)
  18. Beauty Queens (Top Ten Audio for Teens)
  19. Axe Cop Vol. 1 (Top Ten Great Graphic Novels)
  20. Young Fredle (Odyssey Award)
  21. The Notorious Benedict Arnold (Nonfiction Award -- I think it's the winner)
  22. Wheels of Change (Nonfiction Award)
  23. The Zodiac Killer (Quickpick for Reluctant Readers)
  24. The Returning (Printz)
  25. The Scorpio Races (Printz, Top Ten Best Fiction)
  26. Paper Covers Rock (Morris)
  27. Jane (Top Ten Paperbacks)
  28. Ring of Solomon (Top Ten Audio for Teens)
  29. Bootleg (Nonfiction Award)
  30. Okay For Now (Odyssey Award)
  31. Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Top Ten Best Fiction)
  32. Super Human (Top Ten Paperbacks)
  33. Everybody Sees the Ants (Top Ten Best Fiction)
  34. Fever Crumb (Top Ten Audiobooks for Teens)
  35. Leverage (Top Ten Best Fiction)
  36. Curse of the Wendigo (Top Ten Audiobooks for Teens)
  37. Under the Mesquite (Morris, Top Ten Best Fiction)
  38. Scorpio Races (Odyssey Award)
  39. Why We Broke Up (Printz)
  40. Music Was It! (Nonfiction award)
  41. How To Save a Life (Top Ten Best Fiction)
  42. Wake of the Lorelei Lee (Top Ten Audiobooks for Teens)
  43. Shine (Top Ten Best Fiction)
  44. Enclave (Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers)
  45. Chime (Top Ten Audiobooks for Teens)
  46. Big Girl Small (Alex Award)
  47. Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me (Top Ten Audiobooks for Teens)
  48. In Zanesville, Jo Ann Beard (Alex Award)
  49. The Lover's Dictionary, David Levithan (Alex Award)
  50. The New Kids: Big Dreams and Brave Journeys at a High School for Immigrant Teens, by Brooke Hauser (Alex Award)
  51. Rotters, Daniel Krause (Odyssey Award)
  52. Night Circus, Erin Morgenstein (Alex Award)

No comments: