Saturday, April 28, 2012

Library Explosion

Renton Library
Wow, is the King County Library System efficient. Remember how I put a bunch of book on hold last week to jump start my Best of the Best reading? I expected books to come dribbling in over the next few weeks, but instead I got a huge jump this week. Oops. I'd better start reading.

I went on my own to get the enormous pile, hoping to come back with the kids, but life interfered. Actually, they are old enough to get used to a more normal library pattern, going every few weeks during school. Or something.

On the hold shelf I found a stack of Best books, as well as the next Dragonbreath, all the missing Hamster Detective books, another pick from my to-read list, and a book/CD combo that looked intriguing:
How They Croaked: The Awful...Dragonbreath: Revenge of th...Fish You Were HereWillie Mays: The Life, the LegendThe Worst Band in the UniverseThor The Mighty Avenger - V...The Ferret's a Foot



The Scorpio RacesJaneZahra's ParadiseBeauty QueensYoung FredleSugar Changed the World: A ...Wandering Son: Volume One
  • Dragonbreath 6: Revenge of the Horned Bunnies, Ursula Vernon. I proudly showed this to my sons, also fans, and they smugly said they had read it in New York, with their dad. Humph.
  • And Then There Were Gnomes
  • The Ferret's a Foot
  • Fish You Were Here, all by Colleen AF Venable, showing the further adventures of Sasspants, Pet Shop Private Eye. 
  • The Worst Band in the Universe, Graeme Base, a picture book/audio CD combo.
  • Willie Mays: The Life, The Legend, James Hirsh. Biography from my TBR list.
  • Thor: The Mighty Avenger 2.  Here starts the Best Books avalanche.
  • How They Croaked (Audio). This is also a Cybils book, which I read last year and didn't review, so bonus!
  • Wandering Son, Shimura Takako. Manga, so I hope it reads fast. I need help here.
  • The Scorpio Races, Maggie Stiefvater. I've been wanting to read this for ages.
  • Sugar Changed the World, another Best Book from my to-read list.
  • Zahra's Paradise. I took the advice for slow readers and got a lot of graphic books.
  • Jane, April Lindner. Retelling of Jane Eyre, without zombies.
  • Beauty Queens, Libby Bray. Unfortunately, this doesn't count -- it was the audio book that won.
  • Young Fredle, Cynthia Voigt. Ditto. This is why I made my own list. Although I'll read them and try to get the audios; I rarely enjoy an audio if I haven't read the book first. Something about being a control freak, I think.
And the Seattle Library stepped up with a book my by to-read list that King County didn't have:

  • Shattered Bonds: The Color Of Child WelfareShattered Bonds: The Color of Child Welfare, Dorothy Roberts. You may notice that my to-read books are rather intellectual. That is because the cheesy ones get read first and don't have time to float to the bottom of the list, where I explicitly summon them from the library. You won't find me picking up a Charlaine Harris book because it was on my TBR list, for example.
This brings me to a total of 56, wait, 57 items out on my card, plus a lot of ebooks that I'm in denial about. That's actually even more than the age the 5K organizers a few weeks ago thought I was, so I need to take action. I have made a bargain with myself that if my library exposure is less than my age, I can buy a book that week. And there's a book I want to get next week, so I have to return a dozen or so things. A baker's dozen. Plus one. Clearly it's time to review everything and also read a lot of the graphic novels, comic books, and picture books.  I'll go share my Library Loot at the event co-hosted by Claire from the Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader, where all the library addicts compare their treasures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So many books. Where to start?

I started Jane, but it just didn't do it for me.

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

That is an efficient library system! It is an overwhelming (but rather fun) feeling when all your holds come in at once - good luck working through them!