Monday, October 26, 2009

It Should Still Be Saturday -- Forgotten Books


My beside table is precarious and groaning, so I'm ruthless forcing some books off, book that at any moment I was going to review thoughtfully, insightfully, and hilariously. Those nuggets will be lost to prosperity forever, lost even to the internet, because instead I'm going to dismiss them and move on. Onward and upward! BAWK BAWK BAWK (that last is the anthem of this blog, in case I haven't mentioned that).

OK, marching the plank are:
  1. Even Money, by Dick & Felix Francis. Solid mid-grade Francis; he's a bookkeeper, with a wife in the loony bin, a minor crisis at work, and a lost father with a dangerous past.
  2. Finding Serenity: Anti-heroes, Lost Sheppard's, and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly, ed. by Jane Esperson. BebBella Press has a SmartPop line of books with essays about popular TV shows and movies. The essays range in quality, much like a fan convention's panels, but it's a fun chance to think on a literary level about the stuff we read and watch for entertainment.
  3. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, by Barbara Kingsolver. Another of the books about eating locally, by an author it was fun to pretend to buddy up with. It converted us to farmer's markets for the summer, and taught me to make a frittata.
  4. Voices, by Ursula K. LeGuin. The second book about Orrec and Gry, this satisfying story had more hope and possibility than the first, leaving me with the gumption to start (but not yet finish) the third. Recommended.
  5. A Darker Crimson:Crimson City, by Carolyn Jewel. A strange paranormal romance set in a world shared with other authors. I didn't like the irresistible lust towards the bad demon, and the plot felt forced. I think the sex wasn't great either, even with the vampire.
  6. Deerskin, by Robin McKinley. (reread). This book about abuse and rebirth was harder and better than I remembered. I found it very interesting that there is a possibility of a happy ending at the end; I completely forgot that. I still don't believe in it. Highly Recommended.

No comments: