Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Summary


Another week of reading has gone by; time to check if I'm finishing anything. I've got some books out from the new book section, or ones with other people's holds on, so the pressure is on.

Bookmarks are now (still) in these library books:
  • The Science of Fear, by Daniel Gardner. There's a lot of repetition here; he's discussing the poor assumptions made around crime and cancer (for example, children rarely get cancer, and the elderly are rarely victims of crime).
  • Nine Gates: Breaking the Wall, by Jane Lindskold. I'm still in the introduction, where we see how the old and new characters mix together. I really like the range of people -- college age through officially retired people are all working together.
  • Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. This is a huge fantasy book that I've seen recommended, so I'm trying it out. So far interesting but I haven't stopped the world to see what happens next.
  • The Language of Bees, Laurie R. King. I keep wanting to like these more than I do, so I tend to forget what happened in previous books. So the sudden appearance of an old character at the beginning did not have quite the shock value intended. I'll persevere.
Finally, here a few of MY books with bookmarks in them:
  • American Gods, by Neil Gaimon.
  • Whiskey and Water, by Elizabeth Bear. Still not swept away, but I have confidence.
  • Astroturf, by M.G. Lord. Yay -- we've reached some successful women engineers!
  • Fairest, by Gail Carson Levine. I got this at a book fair last year -- Levine does great retellings of fairy tales so I'm looking forward to it.
  • Is Pluto a Planet? by David Weintraub. Another birthday present from last year, but now I've got momentum!

No comments: