Sunday, May 16, 2010

Late Library Haul

We (well, I) had a great time romping about the library last library day. When we got there P dejectedly showed me a note from his teacher, indicating that he had been neglecting an assignment and had to go to a library after school, research his topic, and turn in his report by tomorrow. What luck that I read that at the library after school!

It turns out that P had been paralized by indecision -- he couldn't pick a letter of the alphabet. Every student chose a letter and then reported on rain forest animal starting with that letter. P had been left with Q. (I suspect X was also still available.) The teacher suggested quail, but we could find no evidence of their presence in the rain forest. And Quetzels are much cooler anyway. So I helped P find the bird shelves and the rain forest shelves, and reassured him by showing him the index and how the bird only showed up on one page in each of the ten books so I hadn't really handed him 2000 pages to read.

Meanwhile the other children languished in dreary tedium. X went to the playground, but A and N didn't want to go without me, and poor A was starting a fever (as I found out later). But telling me in a LIBRARY that there isn't anything to do just starts my astonished listing of all the delights around them, which in this library includes gazing down into a river to look for fish. Finally I got them into playing (with puzzles, computer games, and some of the other delights) pretty much just in time to wail that did we have to leave already?, which meant success to my ears. I barely had time to pick up some more picture books for my read-the-library project, a few CD's of music, pay for a damaged book, and grab my holds:
  • Silver Borne, Patricia Briggs. Another in the Mercy Thompson stories, about a were-coyote and her were-wolve, fae, and vampire friends/enemies. Fun popcorn reading.
  • Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady, Florence King. My next book club book, which I'm almost done with since I gave up on the library and borrowed it from a friend.
  • Embers, Laura Bickle. Recommended by Elizabeth Bear on Tor.com.
Total Books from Library Elf (counting all the kid stuff that I'm legally responsible for even if I hope not to read it): 72. Stuff on my card: 55, I think 22 of those are books I'm planning to read.

I'll go sign up for Library Loot this week. That's a weekly event hosted in turns by Eva's A Striped Armchair and Marg's Reading Adventures (this week's host) where bloggers can share their library finds of the week. Some of them make me look restrained.

No comments: