This week was a small step back, because the library had a party on Saturday. And P and I discussed my plan to read a book from each shelf, and then we picked up a few picture books to start that plan. He's helping me read the picture books, despite thinking I am certifiably crazy. Last Thursday I had brought some stuff home for regular library day, so my total inched up a bit.
My hold shelf offered up:
- Black Magic Sanction, Kim Harrison. Although I probably won't actually read this one; I skimmed through a bunch of it and it is too silly for me to read cover to cover. I should acknowledge that this series has left me on the sidelines.
- The Sword of the Lady, S.M. Stirling. Another aging series. I will not be surprised if this suffers the same fate as BMS-- I hit a silly part, skip around, then declare victory. But I haven't started yet, so I will try not to prejudge.
- Lust, Geoff Ryman. Recommended by Jo Walton.
- Watch Me, Norah McClintock. Another YA by this author.
- William S. and the Great Escape, Zilpha Keatley Snyder. A new book by a trusted kidlit author.
- Fledgling, Sharon Lee & Steve Miller. I read this book on the web as they wrote it, so it will be interesting to see any changes in the final version.
- Rebels and Lovers, Linnea Sinclair. This is an author I found in the Romantic SF blog fiesta early this year, so I'll try out her newish book.
I then browsed the picture books, which is where I'm starting my read-the-library-program. There were only three shelves in the first book case, so P and I both picked two. With picture books, we decided it was OK to have a spare:
- Another Important Book, Margaret Wise Brown
- My Special Day at Third Street School, Eve Bunting
- A Bear and His Boy, Sean Byran
- Otis, Janie Bynum
Total Books from Library Elf (counting all the kid stuff that I'm legally responsible for even if I hope not to read it): 76. Stuff on my card: 59. I think N and A picked up a pile of loot at the party while I wasn't looking. I know N needed his card for something... I hope it was books.
I'll go sign up for Library Loot this week. That's a weekly event hosted in turns by Eva's A Striped Armchair and Marg's Reading Adventures (this week's host) where bloggers can share their library finds of the week. Some of them make me look restrained.