Thursday, December 30, 2010

Making Lemonade: Genius Genes

My son is getting tired of me reading books and trying to talk with him about Asperger's Syndrome, so for my next pick in my ongoing research of this condition, I choose a more positive spin.  Genius Genes: How Asperger Talents Changed the World, by Michael Fitzgerald and Brendan O'Brien looks at twenty-one outstanding men, discusses their achievements, and then gauges how their behavior matches up with a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome or disorder (there are different criteria for each).


It was interesting reading how many of the attributes associated with Asperger's also link in with creative and obsessive genius, but my enjoyment was hindered by the large leaps of faith the authors made in their diagnosis.  I don't find these historical syndrome assignments persuasive in the least, and the further in the past, the less value I found.  It's nice to think Aristotle had mild autism, but I don't agree that the evidence is there.

No comments: