Each Monday Sheila at Book Journey asks about how the reading week went -- what people read, what they are reading, what they will read. I visited my dad this week, so I had a couple of long plane trips, which helped me finish some crisis library reading. I've also noticed that I now have a huge backlog of books to post; I usually only post a book a day, and I'm about a month behind. Maybe a reading slump will happen soon, and bring me closer to my daily reading.
What did I read?
- Blackout, Rob Thurman. I tried a new urban fantasy, and liked it.
- Secrets of the Demon, Diane Rowland. Third book about a detective with magic powers.
- Every Time a Rainbow Dies, Rita Williams Garcia. Tough book about teens facing tough lives.
- Frisco's Kid, Suzanne Brockman. Romance about a crippled army guy and a schoolteacher.
- Tiassa, Steven Brust. Next in the Vlad Taltos series.
- The Glass Harmonica, Louise Marley. Musicians meeting across time.
- The Man-Handler, Cairo. Waste of a good tree.
- The Folk Keeper, Fanny Billingsley
- Plain Kate, Erin Bow
What trends do I see? My over extension at the library is heavily driving my reading choices last week and this week.
Right now I'm reading:
- Queen's Play, Dorothy Dunnet, my library Nook book, about to disappear
- Cagebird, Karin Lowachee. Leftover from trip.
- Tortall and other Lands, Tamora Pierce, library book
- Betti on the High Wire, Lisa Railsback, for Cybils challenge
- Territory, Emma Bull (vacation book)
- Hammered, Elizabeth Bear (vacation book)
- Bad Prince Charlie, John Moore (vacation book)
- Interior Life, Katherine Blake (vacation book)
- The Rogue's Return, Jo Beverly (vacation book)
- The Hob's Bargain, Patricia Briggs (vacation book)
- Flying Solo Ralph Fletcher (borrowed by a kid, now returned)
- The Secret Duke, Jo Beverly. Found under my bedside table with a bookmark.
- How I Met My Countess, Elizabeth Boyle. Also found.
I'm just poking at the vacation books; mostly I'm reading the top four. I've got the new Walsh/Sayers on my list, as well as some books due next week. I may have to do some fast reading tomorrow if I can't renew some stuff. I also think I'll pull out some nonfiction from my TBR piles.
Quick stats on my Challenges:
A-Z: 25/52. One more down. But I see some more qualifiers in the pile.
Cybils: 35/76. One more. I'm currently reading another though, plus a poetry book.
Michigan: 1/2 Review waiting to be posted.
Once Upon a Time: 8/5. I'm listing them before reviewing them.
Read Around the World: 7/20. Half of my books will end up being Ranger's Apprentice books. I'm signing up for a setting challenge because authors are hard.
Stream: 3/3. I found another biography in the references for my next read.
Take a Chance: 3/10. My dad had the Economist's Best of the Year 2010 list, which helps.
20/11: 13/20. Cruising!
What's In a Name?: 4/6.
Where Am I Reading?: 19/50. I got to New York and Louisiana.