Friday, February 19, 2016

Hiding From the Cybils

badge-4 The Cybils winners were announced -- don't tell me anything! I have to be very careful where I go on the internet this week, because I don't like to know the winners until after I read a category. I haven't even finished YA fiction yet, so I can know NOTHING. Luckily I've gotten hold of all the books in that category, so I can look it up in a week or so.

My only pick from the library was yet another Cybils choice. It's also another sign of how awesome my library is. They didn't have a copy, so I requested one, and they went out and ILL-ed (inter-library-loan?) it for me. Because they care.

Bayard Rustin: The Invisibl...

Bayard Rustin: The Invisible Activist, Jacqueline Houtman, Walter Naegle, & Michael G. Long.  This copy is signed by the author (I think Houtman) and comes from Stoughton, Wisconsin. I have to say that it doesn't look particularly kid-friendly; I showed it to the 14 year old and asked if it looked interesting and he seemed very dubious. Maybe he's just not a history buff, or maybe the big green INTERLIBRARY LOAN sticker obscured something.

Captive Prince: Volume One ...Captive Prince: Volume Two ...Kings Rising (Captive Princ...

I received the complete series of C.S. Pacat's Captive Prince series in the mail, because I am a WINNER who WINS THINGS, like from a Tor.com giveaway. I look forward to reading them in April sometime. All three of them look like King's Rising, by the way.

I've currently got 32 things out from the library, including ebooks, books for me, and books for the kids. If I work at it this week, I can get down into the 20's, even with my son reading some things that I'm not bothering to mention because I can't read them.

I'll go look at the  Library Loot which is at Silly Little Mischief this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

I'm continuing my Library Quest:

God Help the Child

This week I finished God Help the Child by Toni Morrison. It has Morrison's rich, evocative language, and the plots about child abuse, parental neglect, family and identity pulled me along.Yet the driving motivation of a lost boyfriend bored me; he just didn't seem worth any emotional effort. I liked the metaphors of reversion to childhood, but felt they weren't tied into the ending of the book. Worth reading, but not the best introduction to Morrison.

Now I'm reading Patterson's Miracle at Augusta. I recognized the author of the Alex Rider books, but actually he's the Alex Cross guy, who is completely different. So maybe I shouldn't be so surprised that it's a golf book?

I'm still listening to Hild by Nicola Griffith, and it's still lovely and I hope an accurate depiction of Britain way back then.

No comments: