Friday, February 26, 2016

Library Drought

badge-4This Triple Dog Dare is getting real. The only books I've gotten from the library were ones I put on hold last year, that I needed for various book clubs, or 2015 Cybils finalists. The only thing left on that list is the tidying up book which my book club is considering; we all put it on hold to see if we'd get it at about the same time. This means I'm facing a rather bleak March with few new books.

This week, I had NOTHING waiting for me.

That is, of course, the entire point, since I still haven't actually read all the books I've gotten out from the library. I'm glad I'm still letting myself read picture books while I wait for various teens to get off the bus; I get the thrill of the new while not bringing home more things for my suffering shelves.

I haven't quite warmed to the new library picture book schema, though. The rebuilt library sorts all the picture books by category (counting, vehicles, emotions, life events, etc.) and has face out sections near most of the categories. I'd rather have the books mixed up, but keep the face out sections by category, so you both browse for serendipity but find books for your child's current sweet spot. That would require a lot more time from the librarians, though. Also, I miss having a new book section -- even the newest books seems to go straight into their categories and so are easy to miss. Maybe I'll ask the librarians about that.

I did get a book in the mail as I used a big coupon from Barnes & Nobles, and another one for my NOOK:
Breakout (Dred Chronicles, #3)Virtues of War (Virtues of ...

Breakout, by Ann Aguirre was something I promised myself I'd pick up at Foolscap, but then the dealer didn't have it. I met the author of Virtues of War, Bennett Coles, and he seemed really interesting and performed as a great Sherlock Holmes in the radio play, so I bought his book. I'm looking forward to reading these in April...

I've currently got 29 things out from the library, including ebooks, books for me, and books for the kids. That's under thirty! This feels very responsible. I wonder if I can get down to 25...

I'll go look at the Library Loot which is at The Captive Reader this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

I'm continuing my Library Quest with Patterson's Miracle at Augusta. It's a golf book, so I'm picturing reading it with my Atlanta uncle, who makes watching golf interesting.

I'm still listening to Hild by Nicola Griffith, and it's still lovely and I hope an accurate depiction of Britain way back then.

No comments: