Monday, June 27, 2011

Vampires and Flying Cars: Fray

Evil twins, horned mentors, one-armed cute kids, and flying cars are just some of the treats inside Fray, Josh Whedon's first graphic novel. I have no idea of the chronology of the other comic books with his name on it, so I'm not sure if this one came first or was just the first one that he dreamed up on his own, but I had a lot of fun reading it.

Since he set this story far in the future (flying cars!) there's no worry about remembering details from the Buffy show; everything is all changed up anyway. The characters look different enough that I can tell everyone apart (one of my biggest peeves in comics; I'm terrible at comic recognition) and the story flowed strongly along without pausing in angsty pools. I still have no desire to read Buffy Season 8, but I have a much better appreciation for Dark Horse comics.

No comments: