Monday, January 16, 2012

What Am I Reading?

This is the meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.  I look at what I've read, what I'm reading, and how I'm doing on any challenges.  This week I haven't finished much, but I made up for that by starting a whole bunch of books. Here's my report on the few books finished and the seventeen books I have bookmarks in.

This week I finished:
I've also read some of the Cybils picture books, but this year I'm not keeping track of my picture book count.


I'm currently reading:
  • A Lady Awakened, Cecelia Grant.  Wow, they still barely like each other.  
  • The Man Who Would Be King, Ben McIntyre.  From my TBR list.  Also, it's overdue.
  • With a Single Spell, Lawrence Watt-Evans.  Another TBR listie.
  • This is a Book by Dimitri Martin, Dimitri Martin.
  • Among Others, Jo Walton.  Rereading so I can decide which library to donate it to.
  • Twilight and Philosophy.  So I could properly appreciate the movie.
  • White Night, Jim Butcher. Audio book for car.  I can't decide if I've read this before or not -- some of it sounds familiar.  I'll wait till I'm done to look it up.  Also, it's overdue.
  • Enchanted Glass, Diana Wynne Jones.  Audio book for when the kids are in the car.
  • London Eye Mystery, Siobhan Dowd.  Actually my kid stole this, so I'll finish it when he returns it.
  • Bindi Babes, Narinder Dhami.  Reading my library.  Slowly.
  • The First Men In the Moon, H.G. Wells.  Heh, heh, they just name-checked Jules Verne.
  • Twenty Palaces, Harry Connolly. On my NOOK.  When his publisher didn't pick up the Ray Lily books (BOO), he self-published the extra one.  I like this author.
  • The Red House, Edith Nesbit.  On my NOOK.  Free book recommended on tor.com.
  • Traveling Mercies, Anne Lamott. I'm out of her youth so no more drugs. Yay!
  • The Terrorists of Irustan, Louise Marley.  They got caught.
  • The Secret Duke, Jo Beverly. She still hasn't figured out his true identity.
  • The End of Racism, Dinesh D'Souza.  Always describe a trend by it's fringier crazy elements.
What will I read next? Mostly more library books coming due.  The only new books entering the house will be for book clubs and Cybils finalists.  After I conquer the library mountain, I'll start on my unread book piles.

Challenges I've signed up for (for which I've signed up?):
  1. Cybils: 10/80.  Or I should say 10/73, since the 7 Apps aren't possible.
  2. What's In a Name?: 1/6.  Maybe 2/6, but I have high hopes for a better match.
  3. Where Am I Reading?:  2/50. California, for two.
  4. TBR Double Dare.  1.
  5. Comment Challenge.  On target.

6 comments:

JenFW said...

Holy kangaroos, that's a lot of in-progress reading! I can't juggle that many in my soggy noodle. I may read two and listen to one, but that's about my limit. Picture books excepted, of course.

How long does it take you to finish one when you juggle so many?

Beth said...

Sometimes a really really long time. I've been reading the D'Souza for literally years. But usually a book suddenly catches fire and then I plow through and finish it.

Whitney said...

That is an impressive number of books you are reading. (and I thought two was a lot). I could never keep them all straight.

I also read your review on Stories I Only Tell My Friends, I had heard mixed things about it and your thoughts were very informative.

Anonymous said...

I need to start reading more. I actually read more when I worked than now that I am home. Quite and impressive list.

Unknown said...

Wow, that list of books in progress is HUGE! You're making me feel like I need to step it up!

Madigan Mirza said...

Wow!!!! That is a long list of books in progress... Sometimes I'll juggle quite a few but I think my record is about ten. These days, it's more like four. Max!