Friday, August 5, 2016

Back to Normal

badge-4
Vacation is over, my Reading Team is settling down, and I'm comfortably ahead on my book-a-day summer reading. So my last trip to the library was comfortable. I turned in about as many books as I checked out, but the ones going in were thick and most of the ones coming out where smaller, so I count that as a gain. And I finished up the first group of books that were hitting their due dates hard, and this week's pile of the same look manageable.

And, to my delight, Sea Fair made all the buses late so I had to wait around for an extra hour for my son to arrive, so I had nothing to do but browse and read. Mostly I read, since I was enjoying my book, but I did pick up an extra Jo Beverley because it's a little sad to think she won't be writing any more.

My hold shelf plus one Quick Pick yielded:

RhapsodyThe Last WishThe Raven KingPegeenThe Viscount Needs a Wife (...

Rhapsody: Child of Blood, Elizabeth Haydon. Vaginal Fantasy's July pick, which clearly I will finish late.

The Last Wish, Andrzej Sapkowski.  The Sword and Laser August pick, which I had lots of time for.

The Raven King, Maggie Stiefvater. I think this is the last of the series. Elder son gets it first, of course.

Pegeen, Hilda van Stockum. I'm hoping for another happy family and fun kids book by this author.

The Viscount Needs a Wife, Jo Beverley. I picked it up to glance at, and the librarian next to me stuck another book in its spot on the Quick Pick bookcase, so I was practically FORCED to check out the now homeless book. I felt it might hurt the paperback's feelings to go in the underneath case as the kind librarian offered when she saw my dilemma.

That's a total of 44 things out, which seems a lot. I'm going to try to pull that in over the course of the month.  I'll go look at the Library Loot which is at Silly Little Mischief this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post - feel free to steal the button (that pile of books up at the top) - and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

Library Questing

Here I document any progress I make in my Quest to read a book from every shelf in my local library. So far this week -- nothing!

I'm still enjoying the audio version of Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver. I'm on disc 7 of the latter, and the library called it home. So I'm taking a break and listening to Changes by Mercedes Lackey, which my son finds interesting even though it's the third of a trilogy deep in a series. Maybe he'll try out some Valdemar books; at 17 he's only a little old to be starting.

No comments: