Monday, July 2, 2018

Jet Planes

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
My younger son is off in Greece learning Greek, and the house feels quiet. I am busy sulking over his absence; it takes hours. Luckily I can sulk and do laundry at the same time.

My currently reading briefly dipped below 30 but then I noticed that I had started two more books without noticing so now it accurately reflects the 31 bookmarks I have in action.

The Book Date does a weekly roundup of what people are reading, want to read, or have read each week called It's Monday! What Are You Reading so I'll sign up there. There's also a version that is kidlit focussed at either http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=16403.

This Week I started:

The Penderwicks at Last (The Penderwicks, #5)Unmasked by the Marquess (Regency Imposters, #1)A Princess in Theory (Reluctant Royals, #1)Once Upon a Marquess (The Worth Saga #1)All These Worlds (Bobiverse, #3)

The Penderwicks at Last, Jeanne Birdsall. I love the Penderwicks.

Unmasked by the Marquess, Cat Sebastian. I'm on a Sebastian kick.

Princess in Theory, Alyssa Cole. Unused book team book.

Once Upon a Marquess, Courtney Milan. Another leftover book team book.

All These Worlds, Dennis Taylor. Last of the series.

I finished:

For We Are Many (Bobiverse, #2)DeciderWolf Who Rules (Elfhome, #2)Song of the Current (Song of the Current #1)
The Penderwicks at Last (The Penderwicks, #5)Once Upon a Marquess (The Worth Saga #1)Cold Welcome (Vatta's Peace, #1)

For We Are Many, Dennis Taylor. Many Bobs having different adventures, and then a big bad ant-race out to devour us all. I'm not sure why the chapters jump about in time; it keeps the book from feeling like a single novel.

Decider, Dick Francis. Very fun reread of a Francis with lots of fun kids, a good dad with an idiotic sex life, and of course a bit of physical pain for spice.

Wolf Who Rules, Wen Spencer. Now I have to finish rereading Tinker and my backwards reread will be complete. Sadly that doesn't mean a new book is coming out...

Song of the Current, Sarah Tolcser. This was a competent YA fantasy but sadly I am tired of teenagers lately. I should pass it on to my sons to enjoy.

The Penderwicks at Last, Jeanne Birdsall. Another good kids book about an intelligent and imaginative ten year old navigating her life. Looking at the reviews, people wanted the books to grow up along with the older characters but that's not what this series is about. I guess it's a sign of how well Birdsall writes her characters that the readers are not ready to let go.

Once Upon a Marquess, Courtney Milan. I should have read the backmatter, because I distracted my self for the first third trying to figure out which family I was supposed to remember. Once the penny dropped that this was a new series (very clearly marked) I was able to enjoy the quirky characters. I did think Christian had an annoying habit of being right, although his sense of morality lagged behind Judith's.

Cold Welcome, Elizabeth Moon. I finally ignored all the library books with due date sirens going off and settled down to finish the book I bought. Moon still gets distracted with more nifty ideas that spread the books out too much, but her laser focus on how her characters solve their challenges is still enjoyable. I finished wanted the next one. (Eyes my enormous library pile guiltily)

Bookmarks moved in:

Alliance of Equals (Liaden Universe, #19)Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at WarMarry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2)
Too Like the Lightning (Terra Ignota, #1)Ancestral Machines (Humanity's Fire, #4)A Call to Vengeance (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #3)

Alliance of Equals, Sharon Lee & Steve Miller. Episode 57. Grim and lethal fights all over.

Grunt, Mary Roach. My audio RML book. Moved on to maggots and other innovative wound management techniques.

Marry in Scandal, Anne Gracie.  She likes sex. He thinks she's faking it. I want a bit more oomph in this story.

Too Like the Lightning, Ada Palmer. There are many interesting pieces in this story. I keep getting distracted.

Ancestral Machines, Michael Cobley. RML book. Again I get distracted by the wildly varied viewpoints across this giant galaxy with planet thieves.

A Call to Vengeance, 
David Weber, Timothy Zahn, Thomas Pope. It's a bit stodgy after a promising start.


These I'm barely reading; I use them as palate cleansers between books I'm actually reading.

KenilworthA Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11)The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen
Sammy Keyes and the Art of DeceptionChange of Heart (Robyn Hunter, #7)Reading and Learning to Read

Kenilworth, Sir Walter Scott. Even Kenilworth's lackeys are sick of his whining.

A Traitor to Memory, Elizabeth George.

The Quantum Universe, Brian Cox.

Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception, Wendelin Van Draanen.

Change of Heart, Norah McClintock.

Reading and Learning to Read, Jo Anne Vaca. Making vocabulary growth fun.

2018 Challenge Progress:
  1. Cybils 2017! 12/104-ish. Finished Song of the Current. Wow am I behind.
  2. Reading My Library: Still working on Grunt and Ancestral Machines.
  3. Where Am I Reading 2018?: 35/51. More than half-way! But it gets harder on the back half.

9 comments:

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

Wow, you’re reading a lot of books. I have Grunt sitting on my TBR shelf. I hope we both like it. Have a great week!

Aj @ Read All The Things!

S. Mozer said...

I’m really looking forward to Penderwicks at Last.

Mystica said...

31 on the go at once! you are a brave soul.

Miaismine said...

I hear you about your son and sulking....only when I sulk no laundry gets done! :) Nice reads! How you keep so many books going at once amazes me! Awesome!

Jo said...

I listened to Grunt, and particularly found the maggot chapter interesting. I found myself telling someone about it within the past year, and it has been at least a year since I listened to this.

Kellee Moye (@kelleemoye) said...

Thank you for sharing Unleashing Readers, and happy reading this week!

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I have not yet read any of the Penderwick books, but they're on my TBR list as I hear so much about them. Thanks so much for sharing all your reads. I'm still a one (or sometimes two) at a time reader unless I'm reading several different types of books (nonfiction, children's, adult). I sometimes wish I could do several simultaneously, like you. But once I start a good novel, I have a hard time putting it down. I admittedly binge. LOL Have a wonderful reading week!

kmitcham said...

I didn't see Robots Vs Fairies, which might be an oversight, a failure of my reading, or maybe you already finished it?

GatheringBooks said...

I have a feeling your son is having the time of his life in Greece while you're off sulking and doing laundry! Lovely list of books, as always. :)