Monday, May 6, 2019

Joys of Employment For the Teen

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
Linda and I went to see Endgame and had a fun time. Wow, it's long, and the middle and end are pretty much non-stop action. I'll probably see it again with the boys, so I'll look out to see any fun bits that I missed. We accidentally stayed until the end (they forgot to turn the lights on) but no fun scenes after or during the credits for this one.

Poor working son spends most of his evenings working at his job at the pizza restaurant, which means we miss him at dinner. I still have no idea why his dad thinks it so important that he get a job, but he's enjoying the money and it will make it easier to get the next job. I think he likes a task that is immediate -- wash those dishes, knead that dough, punch out and be done -- no homework, no planning, just be in the moment. Too bad about school work, family time, and my lawn. Although in fairness, since he'll be working most weekends it shouldn't be hard to him to move lawn care to Saturday since after school is now spent at work.

We didn't do much for Star Wars Day (May the Fourth Be With You) or even Cinco de Mayo, and I don't have plans for Return of the Sixth, which I guess is supervillain day or something? Maybe I'm too old for holidays.

My currently reading stayed around 21. That's about six books I have a bookmark in but which really are gathering dust, five books I'm deliberately reading glacially, five print books I'm actively reading (book club pick, library book, unread book I own, reread that I own, ARC I need to finish), and five situational books (my car audio, my podcast serial, my KINDLE app book, my NOOK app book, my IBOOK app book). See how the dusty books have gone down by one -- I'm working on one of them. At this rate, by the end of the year I will only be reading 15 or so books at once.

The Book Date does a weekly roundup of what people are reading, want to read, or have read each week called It's Monday! What Are You Reading so I'll sign up there. There's also a version that is kidlit focussed at either Teach Mentor Texts or Unleashing Readers so I'll sign up over there as my Cybils chapter book, elementary book club, and YA mystery qualify me..

Started: 

RestartCaterflies and Ice (Zoey and Sassafras, #4)
A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)

Restart, Gordon Korman. Elementary school book club pick.

Caterflies and Ice, Asia Citro. Cybils chapter book.

Duke By Default, Alyssa Cole. Romance Lovers Reading Series pick.

Pines, Blake Crouch. My next Reading My Library book.

Once Ghosted, Twice Shy, Alyssa Cole. I picked it up because it's part of the same series as Duke By Default.

Completed:

Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2)RestartCaterflies and Ice (Zoey and Sassafras, #4)
The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2)A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)Change of Heart (Robyn Hunter, #7)

Theft of Swords, Michael J Sullivan. Sword & Laser pick for April. Turns out that the book in which women get to start shining is the 2nd collection, so the problem was mostly in my expectations. This was a fun read, with the author hitting many standard fantasy tropes and giving his main characters fun dialog, and then suddenly messing with some of the tropes in unexpected ways. I'll probably read the next books but I won't drop everything to seek them out.

Restart, Gordon Korman. Elementary school book club pick. This was a lot of fun that led to an interesting discussion. The premise was intriguing enough that even the kids who didn't finish (or start) the book could chime in sometimes. The kids enjoyed arguing over what was mean Chase's worst deed and how easy it was to restart one's life (moving would work, for example). I enjoy kids books with fun characters and deep philosophical points, so I was pleased.

Caterflies and Ice, Asia Citro. Cybils chapter book. This is the fourth in a series, and I read the first one which was a finalist for last year's awards. Once again thinking and science are key to solving the problem. I do feel a bit bad for dad, still unable to see the magic creatures that his wife and daughter befriend and help.

The Fated Sky
, Mary Robinette Kowal. I enjoyed this even more than the first book, mainly because I knew what I was getting in for. Social awkwardness made worse by sexism, and tough choices made by actual adults. It was suspenseful and the space parts were fascinating, and I almost sympathize with Parker, the jerky astronaut in charge. Elma manages to actually sympathize with him, but I am not trapped in a spaceship with a limited number of people so I can hold a grudge longer.

Duke By Default, Alyssa Cole. Romance Lovers Reading Series pick. I'm ready for the meeting! This was a fun read, with a lively heroine who is looking to restart her life after a prolonged youth spent trying too many things and partying too much. Her method is silly but the temporary job in Scotland is really just a change of scenery while she puts her new personal resolutions to work (no booze, no men, etc.)  The hero is a bit of a jerk but also very sexy and about a decade older. He spends most of his time underestimating her and sometimes outright insulting her, but she doesn't really need him. Then the Duke stuff starts, and they have to redefine a lot of things, including their personal and professional boundaries. The final twist seemed bone-headedly stupid -- they commit to each other at a party, and then while his back is turned she suddenly becomes black-out drunk and has to be carried out and is a big internet scandal. No one wonders how she managed to drink so much so quickly -- even she assumes she just doesn't remember suddenly deciding to drink (after months of abstinence) to wild excess, just like in her misspent youth. He dumps her in an unpleasant way. Things get fixed up in the next few chapters in time to end the book (roofie!), but I dropped a star for this clumsy finish.

Once Ghosted Twice Shy, Alyssa Cole. When Duke By Default had me reluctant to finish because of that awful drunk break up, I picked up this to reconnect with the author. It's a novella about a side character from the previous book and it was a quick and pleasant read. Two actual adults who aren't idiots had a fast romance but then one backed out abruptly. They get another chance. No one has to hold the idiot ball; they made mistakes but both acknowledge that these were reasonable decisions given the situation. They work to make things possible. This is one of my first f/f romances, and the maturity of both parties was very refreshing. It enabled me to make it through the reconciliation of the Duke and his incredibly forgiving partner.

Change of Heart, Norah McClintock. I really like the mysteries in McClintock's books, and it's enough to put up with the teen romance. Flighty Morgan gets forgiven, and Robin goes back to Nick. More importantly, Robin figures out who killed the hockey player, although not until she's in a car with the killer as he contemplates killing himself in remorse. He's not good with impulse control, and it's probably related to the number of concussions he received on the hockey ice.

Bookmarks Moved In:

Son of the Black Sword (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #1)Cyteen (Cyteen, #1-3)You Don't Have to Say You Love MeMetal Wolf (Warriors of Galatea, #1)
BecomingWalkawayThe Way Into Magic  (The Great Way #2)The Tukor's Journey


Son of the Black Sword, Larry Correia. 41/? Baen's podcast serial. It looks like two characters may get together, simplifying the story a bit. But it's not assured.

Cyteen, C.J. Cherryh. Reread. Justin and Grant have a very crummy young adulthood as everyone works to make new Ari a reality.

You Don't Have to Say You Love Me, Alexie Sherman. 4-5/10 discs. My RML audio pick. I like the metaphor of his memoir as a patchwork quilt; he patches things in from various periods.

Metal Wolf, Lauren Esker. Kindle read. The love is blooming, and the space ship repairs are going well. But these two successes are on a collision course, and only the intruding helicopters can help.

Becoming, Michelle Obama. It hasn't grabbed me yet because we're still in elementary school.

Walkaway, Cory Doctorow. For my Tuesday book club. I'm falling behind! I think I'm supposed to be almost finished, and I'm about 20% in. Skipping book club last week didn't help.

The Way Into Magic, Harry Connolly. Someone is rescued, but for what purpose?

The Tukor's Journey, Jeannine Kellogg. I'm finishing up the books I abandoned during Cybils crunch time last winter.

Picture Books:

None this week -- I kept myself out the library because I was afraid I'd check out more books.

Palate Cleansers

These books I'm barely reading; I use them as palate cleansers between books I'm actually reading.

A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11)Sammy Keyes and the Art of DeceptionThe Inn of the Sixth HappinessThe Educated Child: A Parents Guide from Preschool Through Eighth GradeReading and Learning to Read

A Traitor to Memory, Elizabeth George.

Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception, Wendelin Van Draanen.

Inn of the Sixth Happiness, Alan Burgess. Our protagonist acquires a few children. And a prison reformation project.

The Educated Child, William Bennett.

Reading and Learning to Read, Jo Anne Vaca. Moving on to how learning to write integrates with learning to read.

4 comments:

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

That’s a lot of books to be reading at once!
My daughter just started an after school job, she works in a lawyers office doing things like mail sorting, and the banking.

Have a great reading week

Miaismine said...

I agree with Shelley, that's a lot of books to be reading at once! Good for you! Keeps your brain sharp and your mind active! I'm off to check out your "Currently Reading" list! Glad I found you on Book Date!

kmitcham said...

I finished Walkaway; I think it really picked up after the first quarter. I liked it, but it has a lot of magic that clouds the social commentary

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I keep meaning to grab Restart. I loved what you shared here about the discussion -- sounds right up my alley. And I've been on the "hold" list for Becoming forEVER. I am currently #48 on 7 copies of the audiobook, so I'm slowly getting closer. I heard the audio version was excellent since Michelle Obama reads it, herself. But if I get impatient enough, I might just go check out the book-book this summer. Thanks for all the shares, Beth!