Monday, April 5, 2021

Spring Has Sprung


It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
The weather is getting lovely -- bright and cool, perfect for walking or gardening. So of course I have reacted by refusing to leave my house and never going on walks. At least fear of the homeowner association makes me mow the lawn. I need to take Pokemon Go more seriously and start hiking to Pokestops. 

I managed to cook dinner both my nights -- my long anticipated Steak & Goat Cheese quesadillas (last week the grocery apparently ran out of steak) and then a tomato frittata on Good Friday. The steak came out really well, but I think the frittata needed potatoes and garlic to be really satisfying. Hmm, I'm going to go add that to the recipe right now so if I ever make it again I learn from experience.

My only note for the steak is that I should turn on the fan or searing it will set off my smoke alarm. Oops!

This year I didn't really celebrate Easter at all -- I didn't even send packages of sweets to my sons. I mean, technically their Easter isn't until May, but this is still a bit sad. I did have my triple book club on zoom on Saturday, but we all failed to read one of the books so we pushed that club until next time. Our local Sword and Laser met to discuss Elotsoe, which I liked but some people felt was flat. I had read it in time for my tweet-review to be read in the podcast discussing it, so we laughed at my internet-fame. And then we talked about The Vanishing Half for Torches & Pitchforks, which was an interesting look at racism, colorism, and family through a lot of different lenses. We thought the characterization was really well done. 

On Easter itself we had a small family Zoom meeting and I also dialed into my Foolscap Concom meeting. 

Not much television watching, but I did see the third Falcon and Winter Soldier with my son (well, we texted each other while watching). It was fun to see Sharon but mostly I'm sad that there aren't any good guys. Right now Bucky and Sam seem to have convinced themselves that their best path forward is to make themselves henchmen to the only villain from a previous movie they could find. I'm not sure why they think this is a good idea but working with the sketchy new Captain America is a bridge too far.

Finished Deep Space Nine's episode 2.23 "Crossover." I am not sure they left any of their counterparts in the mirror universe in a better place, and no one had a sufficiently evil mustache, although evil-Kira did have great fashion sense. Then I saw the new season of Nailed It and that's where I'll be burning my TV time. This season they are letting people come on in pairs and I'm digging it; I'm on the third one, with all the siblings. 

My currently reading is inching back up -- 25. I'm probably doomed.

The Book Date does a weekly roundup of what people are reading, want to read, or have read each week called "It's Monday! What Are You Reading" and I'm going to go sign up. Ditto for the children's lit version at either Teach Mentor Texts or Unleashing Readers

Started

The Blue CastleThe Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates #1)Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)Reckless
The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)Flight, Volume 4Richard IIIInto the Volcano



The Blue Castle, L.M. Montgomery. Another read aloud! 

The Unspoken Name, A.K. Larkwood. For my Tuesday bookclub, chosen because it was a Tor.com bookclub pick. We like free books, and our libraries don't have a lot of overlap.

Network Effect, Martha Wells. OK, I'm rereading it again. Hey, it's for a book club! 

Reckless, Selena Montgomery. For my Cloudy book club.

Orphans of Raspay, Lois McMaster Bujold. I'm listening to all the Penrics in chronological order.

Flight, Vol 4, ed. Kazu Kibuishi. Cybils finalist.

Richard III, William Shakespeare. I read this so I could follow along at a reading. Wow, lots of murders. And it felt good to finally see so many quotes in context.

Into the Volcano, Don Wood. Cybils finalist. 


Completed

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen: Who Killed Jimmy Olsen?The Vanishing HalfThe Runaway Princess
Richard IIIInto the VolcanoThe Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)



Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen: Who Killed Jimmy Olsen, Matt Fraction. Eh, it was all right. I think it assumes the reader starts with an investment in Superman and his pals, so the chance to see more of Jimmy Olsen is a treat. I was only barely aware of him, so the revelation that he's a spoiled rich kid who destroys his family and is a hapless tool for Lex Luthor isn't really that meaningful. I managed to finish the book, but it was a bit of a slog. Comics are hard. 

The Vanishing Half, Brit Bennett. For my Torches & Pitchforks book club. This was a great read. I really enjoyed seeing the characters navigate their lives, which brought into the light many issues around race, and how color prejudice operates in Black communities, where light skinned people are valued over darker ones, and what it means to pass as white and how that can involve complete cutting oneself off from family. The two sisters live very different lives, one returning home and one never allowing herself that luxury, and their daughters also pursue very different paths; one as a spoiled B-list actress who drifts between relationships and one as a hardworking med student who finds a partner in college and it looks like they might stick. It's set during my childhood and young adulthood, and really brought back that time. Highly recommended. 

The Runaway Princess, Johan Troianowski. 2020 Cybils Elementary/Middle Grade Graphic Novel finalist. This graphic book is heavy on the pictures and light on the text, which makes it perfect for its audience and tough going for me. I work much harder to figure out story from pictures than I do from words, and to show my sulkiness I refused to do the little puzzles the author threw in. Also, the princess befriends four brothers, and I couldn't tell them apart. There was the green-haired older brother, and then three other ones, and it bugged me that I couldn't remember which was which. The illustrations were bright and full of almost Seuss-ian creatures, and the kids had a lot of adventures that they were lucky to survive. Occasionally the princess's parents would show up, and I'm fairly sure her friends aren't orphans. Anyway, a fun book that I recommend to kids. 

Richard III, William Shakespeare. I read this so I could follow along at a reading. Wow, lots of murders. And it felt good to finally see so many quotes in context. 

Into the Volcano, Don Wood. 2008 Cybils Elementary/Middle Grade Graphic Novel finalist. The illustrations of characters weren't very appealing to me, but the action scenes were exciting. It's nice that the annoying guy stepped up when it really matters, but it still would have been more fun for me if he were less annoying.

The Orphans of Raspay, Lois McMaster Bujold. I love the final scenes when Penric just sets everything on fire because he's fed up with people being cruel. He makes the effort to be kind; is it really so hard? This is a great view of Penric and Desdemona working together and making sure each get what they need. The audio is good enough that I convinced myself to go mow the lawn so I'd have an excuse to listen.  



Bookmarks Moved (Or Languished) In:

Uncompromising Honor (Honor Harrington, #14)Black Leopard, Red WolfThe Pleasant Profession of Robert A. HeinleinThe Luminaries
Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8)The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)The Wine-Dark Sea (Aubrey & Maturin #16)An Extraordinary Union (The Loyal League, #1)
The Seven Sisters (The Seven Sisters, #1)Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)The Book Woman of Troublesome CreekHigh Cotton



My wall of currently-reading books is about to expand! I am incorrigible. 

Uncompromising Honor 60/??, David Weber. Baen Free Radio Hour's serial. Honor is not compromising.

Black Leopard, Red Wolf, Marlon James. Ancient Sword and Laser pick. Nothing.

The Pleasant Profession of Robert A Heinlein, Farah Mendelson. Hugo finalist. Made progress.

The Luminaries, Eleanor Catton. Didn't touch it.

Someplace To Be Flying, Charles de Lint. Made progress.

The Bourne Supremacy, Robert Ludlum. Didn't touch it.

The Wine-Dark Sea, Patrick O'Brien.  Didn't touch it.

An Extraordinary Union, Alyssa Cole. Didn't touch it. 

Seven Sisters, Lucinda Riley. I told it to try again later.

Crown Duel, Sherwood Smith. Sherwood Smith is reading this for 30 minutes a day. And she even sneaks in the side bits she wrote from other points of view. This is great. 

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, Kim Michele Richardson. This is a good read, and it especially pairs well with The Vanishing Half, and I leave it in the kitchen to read while eating alone. It's not perfect for that because it isn't really food centered and also I get caught up in it and dawdle, but I like making my meals a bit special by having a special ritual. 

High Cotton, Robin Kristie Johnson. A LibraryThing EarlyReaders book. I've lost it! I was walking around the house reading it and I put it down somewhere. It will turn up someplace strange.


Picture Books / Short Stories:

Dozens of DoughnutsMercy Watson: Princess in DisguiseIn a JarMercy Watson to the Rescue


Dozens of Doughnuts, Carrie Finison. 2020 Cybils Picture Book finalist. Appealing illustrations, with the big bear and the smaller friends who gobble up all the bear offers (even as her offering gets less and less enthusiastic). The friends do realize their mistake and return to help, which is Moral but I got a bit stressed at the bear's lack of boundaries. I think kids would enjoy this a lot, and if I distracted myself with the math (dividing up all the doughnuts!) I had fun.

Mercy Watson: Princess in Disguise, Kate DiCamillo. As a pet owner, I frown deeply at the Watsons even as I enjoy the situations their poor judgment creates. Eugenia is a perfect gem and should be catered to in all things. 

In a Jar, Deborah Marcero. 2020 Cybils Picture Book finalist. Quiet illustrations that center the small rabbits even as the emphasize how large the world is around them give this a sweet atmosphere that reinforces the metaphor of bottled memories as a symbol of writing. It does seem like a book that adults will enjoy more than kids, although the kids won't object to it. It's just that they have a better grasp at the moral that adults are hoping to relearn.

Mercy Watson to the Rescue, Kate DiCamillo. Hey, this is the first Mercy book! It's a good start -- Mercy is very toast-oriented, but the Watsons are sure she is courageously and intelligently working on a rescue plan. And so it works out! Eugenia is obviously a saint and a blessing upon this earth. Also, why not add turning on a night-light to Mercy's bedtime routine? Could save on construction bills. 


Palate Cleansers

These books I'm barely reading; I use them as palate cleansers between books I'm actually reading.

The Educated Child: A Parents Guide from Preschool Through Eighth GradeWool (Wool, #1)Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1)
Under the Eye of the StormDates from HellReading and Learning to Read


The Educated Child, William Bennett. 

Wool, Hugh Howey.

Sorcerer to the Crown, Zen Cho. 

Under the Eye of the Storm, John Hersey. Just as the shipmates get tired of each other's company, the storm arrives. No one is going anywhere. 

Dates From Hell, Kim Harrison & others. 

Reading and Learning to Read, Jo Anne Vaca. 


Reading Challenges
  1. Cybils 2020. Two picture books and a graphic novel. 
  2. Early Cybils: One graphic novel. 
  3. KCLS 10 To Try: 8/10. I did get a recommendation from a librarian, but I'll probably read that with a book club this summer. 
  4. Tacoma Extreme Reading Challenge. 27/55. I'm not getting lucky as often.
  5. Reading My Library. Nothing. Well, my library is closed.
  6. Where Am I Reading 2021: 11/51 states. 8 Countries. Vanishing Half is anchored in Louisiana, and I remembered that Sucker Punch (weeks ago) was in Michigan. Oh -- Artemis Fowl lives in Ireland. 
I'm putting this at the end because I suspect it's complete fiction, but I feel I should attempt some structure.

I am reading: 
  • Book I own: Deadly Education Next: Someplace to Be Flying.
  • Library Book:  Next: Temporary
  • Ebook I own: Extraordinary Union  Up Next: Paladin's Strength
  • Library Ebook: Luminaries. 
  • Book Club Book: Reckless Up Next: Medical Apartheid
  • Tuesday Book Club Book: The Unspoken Name . Still haven't finished Wine Dark Sea. 
  • Review Book: High Cotton
  • Hugo Book: The Pleasant Profession of Robert A Heinlein. Next: Joanna Russ.
  • Rereading:  Network Effect.
  • Meal Companion: The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek.
  • Audio: waiting for Prisoners of Vilnoc 

2 comments:

Sue Jackson said...

Mmmm ... your dinners sound good! We do steak and blue cheese quesadillas - thanks for the reminder! We haven't had them in ages :)

Wow, you juggle a lot of books at once! I really want to read The Vanishing Half - sounds sooo good. I can't imagine just dipping in and out of Wool - my husband and I both found it so compelling, we could hardly set it down. One of my favorites.

Hope you enjoy your books this week - and get outside to enjoy the nice weather!

Sue

Book By Book

Max @ Completely Full Bookshelf said...

Pokemon Go could be a fun way to get out of the house! I'm glad you had some fun book club meetings—I tried Elatsoe myself, and once I was 100 pages in and completely uninvested, I gave up. Maybe it got better from there, but I really could not connect with the characters for quite some time. The books you've been reading sound great, especially The Vanishing Half! The Runaway Princess also sounds good, though I understand how frustrating it is when graphic novels have characters that look exactly alike—ugh! Thanks for the great post!