Friday, August 6, 2021

Reverse Readathon!

It's time for another Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon! August is the much chiller Reverse Readathon, where we just kick back, read, and ignore all responsibilities. It's the relaxed stepchild of the Dewey 24 Hour Readathon, which is held twice a year and we go all out. This time is to  humor people on my side of the planet so it starts at 5:00 PM Pacific Time. It is much easier for me to be up then that at 5:00 AM.
Since I'm old I probably won't go for the whole 24 hours. I just want to get some big books finished. My son is tapped to cook, I have snacks, so let's start READING!

I stole this entire paragraph from last year's blog, but that's fair since it's all the same. 

There's a BINGO card I'll be checking and I'll tweet out books as I finish them. And I'll update here during the day, since that way I can check my progress next year. Ready?

Books Started:

The Buried Pyramid

Bookmarks pushed along:

The Last Dragon
Persephone Station

Books Finished:

The City We Became, N.K. Jemisin

START:
8/6: Friday!

5:00: I finished up The City We Became while baking a batch of pita pockets for dinner tonight. Few of them puffed well, but I'm sure that had nothing to do with all the pages I finished instead of jumping up when the timer announced another batch was ready. Nothing at all.

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?

Renton, Washington, USA

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?

The Buried Pyramid by Jane Lindskold

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?

Popcorn, healthily cooked in my air popper, and then covered in butter and salt :-)

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!

I like to read; I have two college aged sons, and my cats like to hang out while I read.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

I like how relaxed this one is; I'll read when I can, sleep when I'm tired, and just try to give myself the option of reading as much as I want. I'm still going to do a few chores along the way.

6:00: Concentrated on The Persephone Station, with a few breaks for The Lost Dragon when I had to go work on the laundry. Also I ate dinner.

Started The Buried Pyramid when I thought The Persephone Station needed a dramatic pause.

8/7

8:00: Woke up. Went back to The Persephone Station and also made a pesto lasagna for potluck bookclub tonight.

1:30. Went for a nice walk. Finished The Persephone Station and poked at The Buried Pyramid. 

4:30: I need to leave for book club, so I guess this is my official close. Not as focussed as I had hoped; the restaurant I hoped to sneak off to for some quiet reading was closed (in fairness, I picked it because I thought it would be empty at that time, so that was a smart move on their part). I did finish the two big books I wanted off to get off my list, and made a good start on another. 



2 comments:

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I love that you put butter and salt on your healthy air popper corn. I still pop mine in coconut oil on the stove as my mom said coconut oil is what the movie theater she worked at in the 1940s used. Makes it so delicious.

My reading buddy is a kitty, also. :-)

Happy reading!

Sue Jackson said...

OH!! I wish I'd known about this! I have been seriously overwhelmed lately and could really use a readathon ... but of course, the past 24 hours have been busy as usual with family responsibilities, so I couldn't have done it anyway!

Shoot - I'll have to keep a better eye on when the dates are coming up.

Hope you enjoyed it and got a lot of reading done!

Sue

Book By Book