Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Happy Birthday Twin





My sister and I are twins for three weeks! She left on a business trip and I had to FedEx her some stuff and they lost it!

Goodreads thinks I am currently (in July) reading 61 books. It’s a little high. The library says I have 42 books checked out. That’s close to reasonable. 


Books Completed  February 20 - February 26


Scorpio, Marko Kloos. Great action scenes, solid feeling worldbuilding, and I hope to read more Kloos stuff.

The Haunted Car, R.L Stine. I liked the car. The kid was less impressive.

Kristy and Mr Mom, Ann M. Martin. Wow, the world is different now. But good job trying, dude!

Sink or Swim, Annabeth Albert. Two adult men meet and work out a relationship like adults. Lovely. I even liked the kids.

On Air With Zoe Washington, Janae Marks. I liked how her complicated family managed to work together, and how there was some friction, and her friendships struggled with some complications of aging, and how it was a specific problem but one that has a wider social aspect (her dad was in prison and has to struggle when he comes out, and even though he was found innocent that doesn’t fix everything).

The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb, R. L. Stine. The main character trait of the protagonist was that he used granny knots to tie his shoes so they didn’t stay tied. He went to Egypt and had problems because of this.

Plain Jane and the Mermaid, Vera Brosgol. This did several innovative things with the premise and I was kept interested and invested throughout, 


Books Started


The Curse of the Mummy’s Tomb, R. L. Stine. More Goosebumps. 
Sink or Swim, Annabeth Albert. This was for the Romance book club.
Simply Unforgettable, Mary Balogh. I like her.
On Air With Zoe Washington, Janae Marks. The previous Zoe book was good.
Lasagna Means I Love You, Kate O’Shaughnessy. Friday book club.
Plain Jane and the Mermaid, Vera Brosgol. Great author. 
Hurricane Heist, James Ponti. I liked the first book.



Bookmarks Moved



King of Elfland’s Daughter, Lord Dunsany
River of Fire, Mary Jo Putney
Promise the Night, Michaela MacColl
Speculative Whiteness, Jordan S. Carroll
Testimony of Mute Things, Lois McMaster Bujold
The Luminaries, Eleanor Catton
How To Help a Hungry Werewolf, Charlotte Stein
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, David Mitchell 
Inventing the Renaissance, Ada Palmer
Calypso, Oliver K Langmead  
Ascendance of a Bookworm Short Story Collection, Volume 2, Miya Kazuki
An Exchange of Hostages, Susan R. Matthews 



Bookmarks Languished


I have given up on a few of these, actually. 
                                                                         
                                                                                    The Hunger and the Dusk, G. Willow Wilson
                                                                               Bourne Supremacy, Robert Ludlum
                                                                              Death in the Spires, K.J. Charles                       
                                                            Read Dangerously, Azar Nifisi
                                                   The Last Witchfinder, James K. Morrow               
                                             So Let Them Burn, Kamilah Cole                     
                                       Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel
                           Lepunia: Kingdom of the Gallopers, Kevin Ford
               The Gilded Crown, Marianne Gordon
            The Morgaine Chronicles, C.J. Cherry
            Champion of Fate, Kendare Blake
         Ariel, Sylvia Plath
      Fair Trade, Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
   One Jump Ahead, Mark L Von Name
Josephine Against the Sea, Shakira’s Bourne
Blood at the Root, LaDarrion Williams

Picture Books, Poems, and Short Stories


Shoes Off, Please, Helena Ku Rhee. Endearing slice of life with with a new kid in the neighborhood.

Echo, Adam Rex. I liked Sandy and the complicated relationship with the echo.

The Great Dictionary Caper, Julie Sierra. This seemed very determined to teach me grammatical vocabulary.

Fiona’s Little Lie, Rosemary Wells. This is one of those books with an obvious moral and that moral is “MOMS ARE AWESOME!”




Books on Slow Mode


Home Comforts, Cheryl Mendleson. I read one section a day. Laundry and fabric stains is our current concern.
50 Great Poets, ed. Milton Crane. Mail bribe. Hopkins is hard core.
The Writer's Stance: Reading and Writing in the Disciplines, Dorothy U. Seyler. Mail bribe.
Black Leopard, Red Wolf, Marlon James. The ending moves back to the personal.
War Cross, Marie Lu. Mail bribe. My gaming is not on this level.
Teaching With Caldecott Books, Scholastic books. Mail bribe. Good chapters about things to do after and while reading the books.

Books Acquired

I only notice when I’m caught up.

Future Plans

This is for the actual future, so weeks beyond the books in this post. It is also probably wrong.
I am reading: 
  • Book I own: Everybody’s Perfect
  • Library Book: Language as Liberation
  • Friend Book Club: What Fresh Hell Is This
  • Foolscap Book Club Book:  The Fifth Season
  • Sword and Laser Club Book: A Midnight Pastry Shop
  • Hugo Reading: Incandescent
  • Talbot Hill School: 
  • Scintillation Book Club: Telling
  • Cloudy Book Club:  An Ocean Apart
  • Torches and Pitchfork Book: All We Want Is Everything
  • Romance Book Club: New authors: Love at First Sighting
  • River Runs Under It Book Club: Our Eyes Were Watching God

No comments: