Well, I'm still not really finishing anything, but at least I'm opening a few books. Occasionally. I think my November reading will have to concentrate on Getting My Library Pile down, and then December will be a mad dash to finish my challenges. Wish me luck.
I'll sign in at Book Journey or Teach Mentor Texts as a proof of concept that someday I want to be the person who thinks about what she is reading. Maybe next week?
This week I managed to finish:
- Edge Chronicles 7: Freeglader, Paul Steward. kidlit. Part of my Reading My Library quest; sadly I feel that the seventh book was not a great entry to this series. Lovely vocabulary, though.
- Looking For Alaska, John Green. YA. I spent the entire book recoiling in horror from the cigarette smoke, which completely distracted me from the themes, characters, and plot.
- Bone: Quest for the Spark 1, Tom Sniegoski. Another Reading My Library pick, which gave me the chance to see what these Bone books my kids have read are all about.
- UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings, Douglas Florian. kidlit poetry. Rather dull picture book instructing kids about bees. A 2012 Cybils nominee.
What am I currently reading? I have my basic bag of library book, my own book, book club book, and NOOK. I've added a library book doomed to be called back Real Soon Now.
- Elephant Run, Roland Smith, Kidlit. A Reading My Library pick that takes place in Burma.
- The Queen's Pawn, Christy English. A story of Queen Eleanor, King Henry, and a woman they both love. Pretty decent, but I can't remember how it showed up on my TBR list.
- Chime, Franny Billingsley. Audio YA. Now she is blaming her jealousy on bad magic. Way to build credibility, kid.
- Sidekicked, John David Anderson. Kidlit. The super hero is not coming to the rescue.
- Congo, Michael Crichton. NOOK. November book club book. The gorilla is headed for the jungle.
- Conspiracy, Lindsay Burokers. NOOK. Another assassin story. I only read this after I've completed a NOOK library book, and since I haven't completed anything in weeks, it's been languishing.
- Keep Me Forever, Rosemary Laurey. I think the set-up is finished.
- Abraham Lincoln: Prairie Years, Carl Sandburg. Lincoln is elected President.
- A General Theory of Love, Thomas Lewis. Just starting this.
- Senrid, Sherwood Smith. YA. Senrid might take back his country.
- The Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens. Lots of dull lawyer stuff.
- A Parent's Guide to Developmental Delays, Laurie Lecomer. What interventions look like.
- Cybils: 54/74. Read a picture book.
- Where Am I Reading?: 36/51. I'm STILL four books behind quota. I need Alaska, Delaware, Indiana and Nebraska, to name a few. Time to go specifically hunting. And then read those hunted books.
- Crazy Quilt Colors: 6/9. Need patterns, green, and brown. Does Bronze count as brown? I have that one out from the library.
- Reading My Library: Finished two, working on the next. On kidlit S's.
- Best of the Best 2012: 57/25. I have one out from the library now. Also slogging through CHIME.