Monday, November 4, 2013

November Is For Library Books

 
Well, I'm still not really finishing anything, but at least I'm opening a few books. Occasionally. I think my November reading will have to concentrate on Getting My Library Pile down, and then December will be a mad dash to finish my challenges. Wish me luck.

I'll sign in at Book Journey or Teach Mentor Texts as a proof of concept that someday I want to be the person who thinks about what she is reading. Maybe next week?

This week I managed to finish:
  • Edge Chronicles 7: Freeglader,  Paul Steward. kidlit. Part of my Reading My Library quest; sadly I feel that the seventh book was not a great entry to this series. Lovely vocabulary, though.
  • Looking For Alaska, John Green. YA. I spent the entire book recoiling in horror from the cigarette smoke, which completely distracted me from the themes, characters, and plot.
  • Bone: Quest for the Spark 1, Tom Sniegoski. Another Reading My Library pick, which gave me the chance to see what these Bone books my kids have read are all about. 
  • UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings, Douglas Florian. kidlit poetry. Rather dull picture book instructing kids about bees. A 2012 Cybils nominee.
What am I currently reading?  I have my basic bag of library book, my own book, book club book, and NOOK. I've added a library book doomed to be called back Real Soon Now. 
  • Elephant Run, Roland Smith, Kidlit. A Reading My Library pick that takes place in Burma.
  • The Queen's Pawn, Christy English. A story of Queen Eleanor, King Henry, and a woman they both love. Pretty decent, but I can't remember how it showed up on my TBR list.
  • Chime, Franny Billingsley. Audio YA. Now she is blaming her jealousy on bad magic. Way to build credibility, kid.
  • Sidekicked, John David Anderson. Kidlit. The super hero is not coming to the rescue.
  • Congo, Michael Crichton. NOOK. November book club book. The gorilla is headed for the jungle.
  • Conspiracy, Lindsay Burokers. NOOK. Another assassin story. I only read this after I've completed a NOOK library book, and since I haven't completed anything in weeks, it's been languishing.
  • Keep Me Forever, Rosemary Laurey. I think the set-up is finished.
  • Abraham Lincoln: Prairie Years, Carl Sandburg. Lincoln is elected President.
  • A General Theory of Love, Thomas Lewis. Just starting this.
  • Senrid, Sherwood Smith. YA. Senrid might take back his country.
  • The Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens. Lots of dull lawyer stuff.
  • A Parent's Guide to Developmental Delays, Laurie Lecomer. What interventions look like.
What will I read next? I've got a werewolf book up, some more Reading My Library picks, and the new Sarah Rees Brennan. If only my fingers remembered how to turn pages...

2013 Challenges:
  1. Cybils: 54/74.  Read a picture book.
  2. Where Am I Reading?: 36/51. I'm STILL four books behind quota. I need Alaska, Delaware, Indiana and Nebraska, to name a few. Time to go specifically hunting. And then read those hunted books.
  3. Crazy Quilt Colors: 6/9. Need patterns, green, and brown. Does Bronze count as brown? I have that one out from the library. 
  4. Reading My Library: Finished two, working on the next. On kidlit S's.
  5. Best of the Best 2012: 57/25. I have one out from the library now. Also slogging through CHIME.

1 comment:

GatheringBooks said...

Hello there Beth, I enjoyed your cryptic one-liners. :) Didn't enjoy Looking for Alaska but not because of the cigarette smoke - simply didn't appeal to me. I am slowly collecting the Edge Chronicles, and I still have a few titles missing so I haven't started reading it yet, but very excited to get to it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the 7th book. Have a great reading week!