Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Library Loot: Post Christmas


Christmas meant my regular library day was impossible, since everything closes. And even I was a bit busy, what with watching my sister cook and frantically wrapping, and finding that I had in fact, shopped early for Christmas, only I then forget everything and frantically ran about buying more prezzies, only to find my hiding places filled up when I tried to sneak in the packages. Oh well, at least I thought of different things the second time around, and no one ever died of too many presents, right? Right?

So, it was Monday when N and I headed out to return some books, me because I had holds expiring and renews failing, he because hope springs eternal and just because your Transformer video is #7 in line at 6pm doesn't mean that it won't be waiting for you on the hold shelf by 6:30. (Well, actually it does, but he handled the tragedy with quiet maturity.) From the hold shelf, I got:
  • Xenocide, by Orson Scott Card, which I consider a weak book that undermines the power of the previous two Ender books, but X is a firm believer in the Pokemon school of series reading (gotta have them all!)
  • Shadow of the Hegemon, again by Orson Scott card, again for X, which is part of a parallel series to the above
  • Ariel, a book of the Change, by Steven R. Boyett, a book recommended on Scalzi's whatever blog
  • Fire, by Kristen Cashore, because I loved Graceling, her other book
N consoled himself from the lack of the Transformer DVD with a Care Bears DVD, and I encouraged him to also pick the DVD of Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom, because I highly suspected that one of them would play in the car on the way home. He has apparently renounced paper books as obsolete vestiges of an unfortunate past.

I had another book due from the city library, which I had to visit because I had a holiday book due that couldn't be renewed. It would have been helpful to bring that overdue book with me, but alas, it is still by my bed (Christmas Angel, a nice Christmas read-aloud). But since we were there, I pulled out my book lists for grades K, 1-2, and 3-4. Lists are good! Obey the lists! Follow your list!
  • Annabelle Swift, Kindergartner
  • Gus and Grandpa
  • Nasty Stinky Sneakers
  • Not on my list, but N found two Power Ranger DVDs
  • Also, Tasha Alexander's Tears of Pearl was on the new book shelf, and I just finished the previous book.
Library Elf puts my count at 74, but many are due tomorrow. I should clean the house, but... Also, today is Wednesday, and those books don't start with the letter U.

No comments: