Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Rejected Gifts: The Angel Chronicles

Books have feelings, sensitive feelings that are hurt if you don't read them or if you dog-ear them or snap the spine. You can see them looking crushed and lonely on the shelves, especially if you bring them home and then ignore them.

Image of itemSo when my son disdained my offering of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer book The Angel Chronicles, Volume 1 by Nancy Holder, I had to pick it up to console it before it went back to the library.  It was a lightweight confection, easily finished in an hour or so.  Interestingly, I don't think I've seen one of the episodes; I skipped some because my son rushed through so quickly that I tended to watch with him instead.  So the middle section was new while the others were an exercise in validating the novelization.  Holder keeps very close to the script; I think I recognized most of the dialog but she has a light touch in painting the scene in words that bring the effect the actors delivered.  Not great literature, but an interesting comparison of TV vs words.  And now that the book is happy, I can send it back to the library without guilt.



No comments: