Saturday, June 16, 2012

Showing Off Our River Library

Renton Library
We had a special guest for our library visit, since my nephew is in town to help celebrate P's belated birthday party. We will be boffering on Saturday, so please send wishes for a less wet morning. Anyway, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, and we zipped in and out fairly quickly.

Now that I've finished the 48 Hour Read, and gotten my 25 books for the Best of the Best challenge, I'm hoping to start whittling down my library list. I think I'll start next week.

This week I somehow had a full library hold shelf, and then I picked up five books for my RML quest. I'm starting to fall behind, so I think I'll hold off on getting more books until I finish all these, though.

What did I get? Well, the hold shelf offered me:
Image of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of item
  • This Is Just To Say, Joyce Sidman. We enjoyed Gail Levine's false apology poems so much we wanted to try more, but these are true apology forms and don't use the traditional structure. Humph.
  • A Child's Delight, Noel Perrin. Essays about children's literature.
  • Amazon, Hena Khan and David Borgenicht. For P, who likes to be ready for anything.
  • Red Glove, Holly Black. Cybils Finalist.
  • Warp Speed, Lisa Yee. Cybils Finalist.
  • Wonderstruck, Brian Selznick. Cybils Finalist.
And then I went to the children's section to pick up the next books for my Reading My Library Quest. The current section only had four books, so I grabbed them, and then noticed that one had been misshelved -- it didn't belong on the shelf I found it on. But now I wanted to read it! What a tough ethical dilemma. That's why I ended up with five books:
Image of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of item

  • The Lions of Little Rock, White girl's experience during school integration.
  • The Snow Pony, Alison Lester. I picked it because it's Australian, but I just realized that I've read and enjoyed many of her picture books.
  • Year of the Tiger, Alison Lloyd. The archer on the cover pleased me.
  • The Undrowned Child, Michelle Lovric. I actually checked this out once before, from the New Books section, but didn't get around to reading it. This is my chance to redeem myself.
  • The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas, Tracy Mack. I like Baker Street Irregular books.
This brings me to a total of um, 49 items out on my card, plus a few ebooks that I'm in denial about. The good news is that this is not higher than last week! The bad news is that it isn't lower, either.  Oops. So no prize for me this week. Sigh. At least I'm much lower than my running age, and maybe soon I'll be under my actual age. I need some more birthdays.

I'll go share my Library Loot at the event co-hosted by Claire from the Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader, where all the library addicts compare their treasures.

No comments: