Friday, June 17, 2016

People Who Need People Are Very Brave

badge-4
Last weekend I was very social, so I spent the beginning days of this week hiding in my house recovering.  There's only so much humanity I can take! I even avoided the farmer's market, although the fact that it was windy and chilly rather than warm and inviting might have had something to do with it. By Thursday I was ready to go eat a cupcake with a friend, and then venture to the library.

To my delight, I saw a poster for the adult reading program, complete with badges and special challenges and all the gizmos I could desire. Now I'll stop nagging my teens about their teen reading program -- who cares? I'm busy making quizes and lists and updating my reading log at the Adult Summer Program!

My hold shelf loot was two books:

The Hollow BoyThe Aeronaut's Windlass

The Hollow Boy, Jonathan Stroud. The conclusion to a series we were enjoying. Stroud snuck this out while I was traveling last year so I forgot to read it, but we've put it on the list for our family book club. Younger son has already claimed it.

The Aeronaut's Windlass, Jim Butcher. This was probably forced (slated) onto the Hugo short list by idiots, but I've enjoyed Butcher's Dresden series so I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll see if older son can try it first; he's an even bigger Dresden fan.

I also got a new ebook, which is the alt pick for June's Vaginal Fantasy book club. The main is not available from a library, so I may not get to it:

Here There Be Monsters

Here There Be Monsters, Meljean Brook. I've read and enjoyed others in this series, so I expect to like this novella. (I think it's a novella.) I'm not sure I've mastered moving borrowed epubs to my tablet, so this will be a chance to stretch my sysadmin muscles.

That's a total of 37 (35+2)  things out.  I'll go look at the Library Loot which is at The Captive Reader this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post - feel free to steal the button (that pile of books up at the top) - and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

Library Questing

Here I document any progress I make in my Quest to read a book from every shelf in my local library.

First FrostFirst Frost by Sarah Addison Allen got bumped up my reading list because other people want to read it -- imagine! As if the library was not my personal off-site book repository! I had picked it for its North Carolina setting, and I enjoyed the combination of magic realism with emotional truth as the characters figured out what they wanted from their families and their futures.

I'll get back to Daniel Abraham's The Spider's War and the audio version of
Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver now.

No comments: