Friday, June 10, 2016

Spreading the Library Love

badge-4
I took my friend Linda, who has recently moved to town, into our local library so she could admire it and get a card. It's always fun when people appreciate the beauty of having a library over a river (see picture below). There are many comfortably reading chairs along the window so you can sit and read and watch the water flow, either bright and dancing or dark and flowing, depending on the season and the recent rainfall. Sometimes our river is shallow enough to wade in; sometimes it tumbles giant trees stormily down to the lake.

My hold shelf loot was five books:
Night ShiftTo Sail A Darkling SeaKiss Me DeadlyDemigods & MagiciansPretty Deadly


Nightshift, Charlaine Harris. The next Midnight Crossing book. Go library, getting me this just-out book!

To Sail a Darkling Sea, John Ringo. My kids and I have been listening along to the Baen podcast of the audio to the first book, Under a Graveyard Sky, which finally wrapped up last week. My son was interested enough to want the next book, which he will probably finish in a few weeks rather than in months of listening, and I might check it out as well. We're also interested to see if Baen has any new goodies for us next week.

Kiss Me Deadly, a collection of short stories that was on my TBR list and got picked for my Surprise Me Challenge. I'll read this as an appetite cleanser after I finish my next Cybils category.

Demigods & Magicians, Rick Riordan. I got this for my older son, who likes to keep up with the Riordans that come out. He may be done with it already, actually; he's had it for several hours. I hope to get a chance to read it as well.

Pretty Deadly, Kelly Sue DeConnick. This is the graphic novel my local Vaginal Fantasy group picked for June. I'm not sure I'm getting the main book, since the libraries don't have it, so this will give me something to talk about at the next meeting.

That's a total of 37 things out, which is too many. I'll try to start turning things back in soon.  I'll go look at the Library Loot which is at Silly Little Mischief this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post - feel free to steal the button (that pile of books up at the top) - and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

Library Questing

Here I document any progress I make in my Quest to read a book from every shelf in my local library.

Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)Left For Dead, J.A. Jance. Good listening, even as an introduction to the character (this is deep into a series about Ali Reynolds, who is a woman and not a Muslin). I liked the identity of the bad guy, even as some of the mystery pieces seemed rather far fetched, and the two cases ended up linked only by the friends assisting each victim. It did not improve my opinion of law enforcement, though.

Next audio up is Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I love the idea of reading one book from every shelf in your library -- you must be discovering a lot of new books. I've only read a few of the Ali Reynolds books but have really enjoyed them so far. I'll have to keep this audio in mind for another time.

Ms. Yingling said...

Ooh! I should look into the Summer Flash Bingo. I bet I could do that! More info about the 48 HBC at http://msyinglingreads.blogspot.com/2016/06/more-details-about-48hbc.html