Monday, March 25, 2019

Spring Has Sprung

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
I'm still not back to full addiction reading, but my page count is creeping up. And look -- I've blogged two weeks in a row!

Spring has really arrived -- we can wander about in t-shirts, the weather is nice that I gave my son the option of walking in from the bus stop just to enjoy the nice weather and he accepted (in winter I pick him up at the transfer point to save him time and exposure to the weather). And then my older son came home for his spring break, and he's always fun to have around the house.

I saw the new Captain Marvel movie; actually I've seen it several times since the people I wanted to see it with couldn't agree on a time and I had somehow agreed to see it with several sets. It held up to rewatching, and I think I've caught all the Easter Eggs that would have meaning to me. I liked it -- pretty people, good themes, nice music.

My currently reading has stayed at 20. Wow -- that's a single page on Goodreads! I'm actively looking at finishing or admitting I stopped some of the books on my currently reading shelf and I guess it's slowly paying off. Now to go start a dozen more books without finishing anything!

The Book Date does a weekly roundup of what people are reading, want to read, or have read each week called It's Monday! What Are You Reading so I'll sign up there. There's also a version that is kidlit focussed at either Teach Mentor Texts or Unleashing Readers so I'll sign up over there as my Harry Potter read qualifies me. Oh, and I read a few picture books while at the library.

Started: 

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)Black Ink: Literary Legends on the Peril, Power, and Pleasure of Reading and Writing

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, J.K. Rowling. March's Sword and Laser pick. Wow -- I'm current!

The Honor of the Queen, David Weber. My Tuesday's book club pick. I'm supposed to get through chapter 7 or so.

Black Ink, Stephanie Oliver (editor). From the library's table of temptation that they artfully place by the front door. It's a book about books.

Completed:

Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)Black Ink: Literary Legends on the Peril, Power, and Pleasure of Reading and Writing

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, J.K. Rowling. I enjoyed rereading this and remembering reading it out loud. Also enjoyed fighting with the author a bit -- I deliberately kept trying to see other kids' points of view to see if Harry was still the hero. Sometimes he's not.

Wonder Woman: Warbringer, Leigh Bardugo. I liked the ending of this better than the movie, and thought it had better things to say about friendship and responsibility.

Black Ink, Stephanie Oliver (editor). Wow, this was powerful. A lot of the selections really brought out how hard Black people had to fight to write their own books and to access meaningful literature. Great book showcasing both the strength of writing and of authors.


Bookmarks Moved In:

Son of the Black Sword (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #1)The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in BritainCyteen (Cyteen, #1-3)
Luminescent Threads: Connections to Octavia E. ButlerVirtues of War (Virtues of War, #1)Terran Tomorrow (Yesterday's Kin Trilogy, #3)


Son of the Black Sword, Larry Correia. 35/? Baen's podcast serial. The society has rather dull gender politics, but at least occasionally a girl gets to do something within those rules. As long as she stays safely conventional and doesn't try to be independent or think without a man's help, of course.

The Road to Little Dribbling, Bill Bryson. My current Reading-My-Library audio. I enjoy Bryson's reminiscing about the past as he looks at modern England.

Cyteen, C.J. Cherryh. Finished from when Ari gets her azi up to adolescence. Now jumping back to her birth.

Luminscent Threads, ed. Alexandra Pierce. Still reading a few essays at a time, and enjoying them.

Virtues of War, Bennett R. Coles. Our heroes, wait, wrong word. Our characters have rushed into battle!

Terran Tomorrow, Nancy Kress. I put this down while listening to an audiobook by the same author as I found that confusing, but now I'm back with it.

Picture Books:

The Princess and the PonyI'm Brave!Cancer Hates KissesThe Truly Brave Princesses

The Princess and the Pony, Kate Beaton. Cute little book about thinking outside the box. Also being polite pays off.

I'm Brave!, Kate McMullen. My kids would have lived this when they were young preschoolers. Bright but simple pages with vocabulary and a description of a fire trucks parts, tools and process. Not too long but not condescending.

Cancer Hates Kisses, Jessica Reid Sliwerski. Definite bibliotherapy but well done. Kids who pick it up accidentally should still like the clear concepts and appealing illustrations. Kids in a similar situation get a good way to frame events and ask questions.

The Truly Brave Princesses, Dolores Brown. Random book of random people with the gimmick that everyone is a princess because words don’t have meanings. I think they forgot transgender people or maybe they are above noticing ? Very earnest but the pictures are nice so a good book listing various professions.

Palate Cleansers

These books I'm barely reading; I use them as palate cleansers between books I'm actually reading.

A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11)Sammy Keyes and the Art of DeceptionChange of Heart (Robyn Hunter, #7)The Inn of the Sixth HappinessReading and Learning to Read

A Traitor to Memory, Elizabeth George. I am surprised how much I am not enjoying this.

Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception, Wendelin Van Draanen.

Change of Heart, Norah McClintock.

Inn of the Sixth Happiness, Alan Burgess.

Reading and Learning to Read, Jo Anne Vaca.


5 comments:

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I don't usually re-read books, but the Harry Potter series is ALWAYS worth a re-read in my opinion. And I've been curious about Wonder Woman: Warbringer. I did enjoy the movie, but books are almost always better. Thanks for all the shares, Beth!

Kathryn T said...

Ah I couldn't cope with having all those books going at once but it works for you! Nice that the movie stood up to rewatching, I laughed when I read you'd committed to watching it with three people.

Kym said...

Palate cleansers - what a great description! LOL I do that sometimes as well. Here's what I really am reading lately: http://bit.ly/2uvVEq1

Cheriee Weichel said...

I"m always amazed at how many books you have on the go. Even though I have three books on the go right now, I am really focusing on one.

GatheringBooks said...

20 all at one go! Whoa. You continue to amaze me. :)