Monday, April 1, 2019

My Son Is Fun

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
My college son was back for spring break, which he spent quietly between my house and his dad's. Most of our time together was spent companionably reading. We hit a movie together -- the last How to Train Your Dragon was a hit for him and a fun re-watch for me. I warned him I'd probably cry and he didn't believe me.

It's always fun when my regular Tuesday movie club has extra guests. For the rest of the week I had him move heavy things around, deal with Chores For the Tall (my newly replaced furnace filter is in the ceiling, for example), and threatened him with yard work until we went to give blood together and officially got him off the hook. The lovely weather means that his brother is officially on the hook now, as I warned him.

Tuesday is now officially library day as well. After the movie I swing by and browse the picture books before curling up in a chair by the glass wall over the river and reading my selections. Then I try to avoid checking things out (I'm trying to catch up on my Mount TBR at home) but usually fail a little.

My currently reading has inched up to 21. Really I'm reading about 10 books and have temporarily abandoned about ten more with firm intentions of getting back to them any second now. Lately it's a matter of format. I'm reading a library book, a book I own, a reread, an ebook from the library, something on my KINDLE app, something on my NOOK app, and something on my IBOOK app. Somehow I've accumulated books in all these places so I'm trying to push them all down at once. And there are a few other books I'm just reading sorta accidentally.

The Book Date does a weekly roundup of what people are reading, want to read, or have read each week called It's Monday! What Are You Reading so I'll sign up there. There's also a version that is kidlit focussed at either Teach Mentor Texts or Unleashing Readers so I'll sign up over there as my picture book reading qualifies me.

Started: 

Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15)The Dispossessed (Hainish Cycle #6)Crimson Death (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #25)

Split Second, Catherine Coulter. My next Reading-My-Library quest book. Clearly I need to pick up my pace, as every time I go to pick up the book from the next shelf I find that the library has expanded and I'm only moving alphabetically a smidgen. (My last author was Cotterly or something.)

The Dispossessed, Ursula Le Guin. Technically I've been claiming to have been reading this for a year of so, but really I hadn't even made it through the first chapter so I'm starting over.

Crimson Death, Laurell K Hamilton. This is a trash fire and I am rolling around in it. I let it jump ahead of the Cybils books from 2017 that I'm SUPPOSED to be finishing up, but I just really like watching Anita zoom around having sex and adventures. And by zoom around I mean "stop every five minutes to have a relationship discussion in the most inappropriate way possible." My family is finding my frequent chortles probably rather annoying.

Completed:

Luminescent Threads: Connections to Octavia E. Butler


Luminscent Threads
, ed. Alexandra Pierce. I'm done. I'm new sad about Octavia Butler's death, especially because I probably would have met her by now if she hadn't fallen. That didn't ever occur to me until most of the way through this book. Anyway, now I have more rereading to do.


Bookmarks Moved In:

Son of the Black Sword (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #1)The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in BritainCyteen (Cyteen, #1-3)
Virtues of War (Virtues of War, #1)Terran Tomorrow (Yesterday's Kin Trilogy, #3)The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)


Son of the Black Sword, Larry Correia. 35/? Baen's podcast serial. Humph. I just checked at the print version and discovered I'm only half way through. This is a very slow burn book.

The Road to Little Dribbling, Bill Bryson. My current Reading-My-Library audio. I'm liking this, but I have to say that when Bryson tells stories about getting fed up with people (especially store workers) he meets my sympathies tend to be with the workers. I can see why his elbow gets a callous from all the people who gently take his to lead him away.

Cyteen, C.J. Cherryh. I really like the early childhoods of Ari, Florian and Catlin. This time is not so pleasant for Justin and Grant though.

Virtues of War, Bennett R. Coles. Well, not everyone is dead yet, so that is mostly good. (NOOK app)

Terran Tomorrow, Nancy Kress. I know Kress will do something interesting but now I'm getting very concerned about exactly what that is so I am dragging my eyeballs.

The Honor of the Queen, David Weber. My Tuesday's book club pick. I do like the Greysons. I'm supposed to get through chapter 15 or so.

Picture Books:

Red Knit Cap Girl and the Reading TreeThe Truth About My Unbelievable School . . .Don't Touch This Book!Lizard from the ParkI'm Bad!

Red Knit Cap Girl and the Reading Tree, Naoko Stoop. I realize this is a series with an established character, but I just picked it up and got stuck on the first page -- she's sweltering in the heat and doesn't take off her red knit cap? Even through the fun of the crowdsourced library I kept wanted her to deal with the wardrobe issue. I suspect kids would not be affected by this.

The Truth About My Unbelievable School..., Davide Cali. This would have been a fun book for my family, especially when the oldest had started school and would be interested in trying to smoke his younger brother about what that entailed.

Don't Touch This Book, Bill Cotter. Another entry in the meta-book genre, which plays with the idea of the reader affecting the page.

Lizard From the Park, Mark Pett. I really liked this book about building a friendship, especially since it took me a while to notice the other kid and so immediately started over to watch the parallel story going on in the edges of the pages. That's the kind of thing that made read-alouds fun, and it also was a nice twist on narrative reality -- was the story really about a story built by these budding friends?

I'm Bad, Kate McMullan. This seemed vaguely familiar, probably because I read another in the series last week, but it's possible I read it to my kids; as a 2008 so it's on the outer edge of our picture book days but maybe? I liked how the bloodthirsty carnivore stuff is leavened with the tiny age of the dinosaur speaker.

Palate Cleansers

These books I'm barely reading; I use them as palate cleansers between books I'm actually reading.

A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11)Sammy Keyes and the Art of DeceptionChange of Heart (Robyn Hunter, #7)The Inn of the Sixth HappinessReading and Learning to Read

A Traitor to Memory, Elizabeth George. There are no good guys, only dull people and some bad ones.

Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception, Wendelin Van Draanen.

Change of Heart, Norah McClintock.

Inn of the Sixth Happiness, Alan Burgess.

Reading and Learning to Read, Jo Anne Vaca.

1 comment:

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

Oh my goodness. That's a lot of books to work on at once. I tend to only have 2 (one audio, one ebook/print) going but sometimes I have a few like your on hold ones, too :) Happy reading!