Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Family Assemble!

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
It's always fun so see my boys, so I was glad when they came home from college. I even managed to feed them before they zipped up to see their little sisters at their dad's house.

I hit bit of a reading block this week. I was feeling a bit down in general, and just couldn't settle to anything, including any book. The only thing that had interest was the first Sookie Stackhouse book, so I leaned into that. I read the first ten, and dug up most of the short stories along the way. I hope that this indulgence will end with me getting productive again, before my house falls apart, all my responsibilities blow up, and my library books come due. Also I need to cook a lot for Thanksgiving.

My currently reading shelf continues to hover around 20, but really I'm only actively reading about five books.

Cybils Awards
The Book Date does a weekly roundup of what people are reading, want to read, or have read each week called It's Monday! What Are You Reading so I'll belatedly try to sign up there. Ditto for the children's lit version at either Teach Mentor Texts or Unleashing Readers. (It's a sign of my weak nature that I feel better that Teach Mentor Texts is also slow this week. It's not just me! Although I'm sure her excuses are better).

Started: 

Living Dead in Dallas (Sook...Club Dead (Sookie Stackhous...Dead to the World (Sookie S...
Dead as a Doornail (Sookie ...Definitely Dead (Sookie Sta...All Together Dead (Sookie S...
From Dead to Worse (Sookie ...Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)


Living Dead in Dallas, Charlaine Harris. Book 2 of the Sookie Stackhouse books.

Club Dead, Charlaine Harris. Book 3.

Dead to the World, Charlaine Harris. Book 4.

Dead as a Doornail, Charlaine Harris. Book 5.

Definitely Dead, Charlaine Harris. Book 6.

All Together Dead, Charlaine Harris. Book 7.

From Dead to Worse, Charlaine Harris. Book 8.

Dead and Gone, Charlaine Harris. Book 9.

Dead in the Family, Charlaine Harris. Book 10.


Completed:

A Velocity of Being: Letters to A Young ReaderDead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)Living Dead in Dallas (Sook...Club Dead (Sookie Stackhous...
Dead to the World (Sookie S...Dead as a Doornail (Sookie ...Definitely Dead (Sookie Sta...All Together Dead (Sookie S...
From Dead to Worse (Sookie ...Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)

A Velocity of Being, Maria Popova. Cybils nonfiction longlist. I'm glad I read this slowly to savor -- it's a collection of essay/letters and art from creative people about their relationship to books, written to people who may still be establishing that relationship. It's lovely and interesting and I have no idea who the audience is.

Sookie Stackhouse Books 1-10, Charlaine Harris. I've read these before, and I remember that by the end of the series I found it hard to keep up with all the different characters and events. But it turns out if you read them all within a few days it's much easier to keep up with events. I bet people can guess what the books read from Monday through Wednesday looks like. I hope this has broken my reading block so I can get back to my regular life!

Bookmarks Moved In:

Son of the Black Sword (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #1)Tender MorselsBook Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
One Good Dragon Deserves Another (Heartstrikers, #2)The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)Brave Face
The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #2)1919 The Year That Changed AmericaJonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Son of the Black Sword, Larry Correia. 68-9/? Baen's podcast serial. The companions object to the technique our hero used to grow a conscience. He decides some slaughter will make it better.

Tender Morsels, Margo Lanagan. 3/10 discs. The short guy continues to be unappealing.

Book Lust, Nancy Pearl. Still reading in tiny bursts.

One Good Dragon Deserves Another, Rachel Aaron. Confidence in Bob is getting shaken.

The Poppy War, R.F. Kuang. Last month's Sword and Laser pick. Waiting to recover it.

Brave Face, Shaun Hutchinson. Cybils nonfiction longlist. Wow, this kid does not do himself any favors, and the world rarely does either.

Tropic of Serpents, Marie Brennan. Just for fun. I'm thinking I might like the audio better.

1919, Martin Sandler. Cyblis nonfiction longlist. I'm enjoying and learning a lot from this.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Susanna Clarke. For my Tuesday night book club. I suggested this, so I feel bad about how little I've read. But the call of Sookie was too strong.

Picture Books / Short Stories:


A Touch of Dead (Sookie Sta...Dancers in the DarkOne Word Answer (Sookie Sta...
My Big Fat Supernatural Wed...Lucky (Sookie Stackhouse, 7.1)Crimes by Moonlight: Myster...
Wolfsbane and MistletoeDeath's Excellent VacationThe Sookie Stackhouse Compa...

"Fairy Dust," Charlaine Harris. Tasty tasty fairies.

"Dancers in the Dark," Charlaine Harris. A stalker, an Irish vampire romantic, and a girl on the run find love, death, and a career.

"Dracula Night," Charlaine Harris. Silly but fun. I like Sookie when she is messing with Eric.

"One Word Answer," Charlaine Harris. Turns out Sookie is pretty smart. And I like the insight look where Harris talks about the story and realizes that she hid important series information in a short story that people might miss (I did, the first time!).

"Tacky," Charlaine Harris. Wedding story that includes carnage and a new romance. I admire the lightness of touch that Harris uses to combine these.

"Lucky," Charlaine Harris. An exciting story about an insurance agent. No, really.

"Dahlia Underground," Charlaine Harris. Dahlia is flexible despite her age. Already she has a broader appreciation of Weres, and now she considers that a few humans may be worth talking to.

"Gift Wrap," Charlaine Harris. A little sexy, a little fun, and a little sign that the fairies are completely alien to Sookie.

"Two Blondes," Charlaine Harris. Sookie and Pam bond through mutual cleverness and agility.

"Small Town Wedding," Charlaine Harris. Sam proves that he is far less socially skilled that Sookie. Or his mom, and she has some blind spots. But even some human pull themselves together in this one.

Palate Cleansers

These books I'm barely reading; I use them as palate cleansers between books I'm actually reading. And since I wasn't home, I didn't read them this week.

A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11)The Educated Child: A Parents Guide from Preschool Through Eighth GradeCookieGive All to Love (Sanguinet Saga, #11)Tell the Wolves I'm HomeReading and Learning to Read

A Traitor to Memory, Elizabeth George.

The Educated Child, William Bennett.

Cookie, Jacqueline Wilson.

Give All to Love, Patricia Veryan.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home, Carol Rifka Brunt.

Reading and Learning to Read, Jo Anne Vaca.

Reading Challenges
  1. Cybils 2017. Nothing.
  2. Cybils 2018.  Nothing.
  3. Reading My Library. Nothing.
  4. KCLS Ten to Try. All done!

1 comment:

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

I just now realized that I failed to visit your blog, last week. But actually, I KNOW I read it because I remember looking up the Sookie Stackhouse Series. And how did I not know the True Blood HBO series was based on these books? We only watched maybe one season WAY back in the day, but it would have been nice to know it was based on these books. lol Anyway, you also had me smirking over your Teach Mentor Texts comments. There's a little bit of comfort in knowing it happens to us all. Hope it's been a great reading week, Beth!