Monday, January 4, 2010

A-Z Challenge


Becky is hosting an A-Z Reading Challenge, and I'm signing up. I'm hoping to just accidentally read most of what I need; I am doing A-Z Wednesdays, after all. To raise the stakes, I'm trying to do the challenge at the 52 book level, with 26 titles and 26 authors. Since I read a lot of kidlit, this seems reasonable -- picture books count. I definitely don't have a list of books ready, so I'll keep a list running and fill in (and shift about) as needed.

Here are the rules:









~ align the author's last name or the title of a book (excluding "the", "a", etc.) with its corresponding letter in the alphabet

~ enter a different book for each author and title (total of 52 books)

~ complete the alphabet lists anyway that suits your fancy
(i.e.: complete each list separately in alphabetical order, read both "A" entries, then "B" entries, fit whatever you're reading into either list, etc.)

~ complete the challenge in the year 2010

~ enjoy the experience!


So, here are the letters, and I'll be filling them in with my books:

Titles
A: Are You Alone on Purpose, Nancy Werlin
B: Black Angels, Linda Beatrice Brown
C: Countdown to Summer, J. Patrick Lewis
D: Dragon Spear, Jessica Day George
E: The Eternal Kiss, Trisha Telep, ed.
F: The First Part Last, Angela Johnson
G: Game of Cages, Harry Connolly
H: How To Teach Physics To Your Dog, Chad Orzel
I: Irreligion, John Allen Paulos
J: Jack of Clubs, Barbara Metzger
K: Kindred in Death, by J. D. Robb
L: A Local Habitation, Seanan McGuire
M: Marriage and Other Acts of Charity, Kate Braestrup
N: Never Less Than a Lady, Mary Jo Putney
O: Oath of Fealty, Elizabeth Moon
P: Powers, Ursula K. Le Guin
Q: Quirky Yes, Hopeless No, Cynthia La Bria Norall
R: Roar, Emma Clayton
S: Soulless, by Gail Carriger
T: Tongues of Serpents, Noami Novik
U: Unwind, Neal Shusterman
V: Vile Village, by Lemony Snicket
W: Wanting Mor, by Rukhsana Khan
X: X-Men: Watchers On the Walls, by Christopher Bennett
Y: You Had Me At Goodbye, Jane Blackwood
Z: Zen in the Art of Archery, Eugen Herrigal

Authors:
A: Kelly Armstrong, Exit Strategy
B: Christopher Buckley, Supreme Courtship
C: Kristin Cashore, Fire
D: David Drake, When the Tide Rises
E: Rafe Esquith, Lighting Their Fires
F: Jerramy Fine, Someday My Prince Will Come
G: Neil Gaiman, American Gods
H: Mary Downing Hawn, Deep and Dark and Dangerous,
I: Kazuo Ishiguro, Noctures: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall
J: P.D. James. The Private Patient.
K: Jon Krakauer: Where Men Win Glory
L: Grace Lin, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
M: Leonard Mlodonow: The Drunkard's Walk
N: Patrick Ness, Knife of Never Letting Go
O: Anne Osterlund, Academy 7
P: Arturo Perez-Reverte, Captain Alatriste
Q: Devyn Quinn: Siren's Call
R: Kat Richardson: Vanished
S: Maria Snyder, Sea Glass
T: Megan Whelan Turner, Conspiracy of Kings
U: Kaye Umansky: Clover Twig and the Flying Cottage
V: Sarah Vowell, The Wordy Shipmates
W: Diana Welch, (with siblings Amanda, Liz, & Dan), The Kids Are All Right
X: Xinran, Sky Burial
Y: Lisa Yee, So Totally Emily Ebers
Z: Zitkala-Sa, Indian Stories, Legends, and Other Writings

OK, December, and I finished off the titles.  Now to fill in those last pesky authors.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Good luck! I did this one a couple of years ago and depleted my shelves of all possible Q's and X's so I've given it up until I amass some more some day. ;-)